my older daughter really wants to sleep in underwear... like little sis

My 21 month old has been on a pull-up strike for awhile (she's been day trained for awhile and is dry most, but not all mornings). I've been allowing her to wear underwear to bed because the accidents are occasional and I think she's getting better. But now her big sister, who is 3 and has been day trained for 1.5 years now, is really wanting to wear underwear, too. In a pull-up she is almost never dry in the morning.. she had 4 days in a row once, but since then the dry mornings have been few and far between... Different bodies, different development, I know... I haven't made a big deal out of praising the little one for dry mornings, but the older one still I think wants to be able to do it, too. I have NEVER scolded for night wetting and have been very supportive of her going at her pace for bladder control at night. But she wants to sleep in underwear! I've tried waking her once, but even that's no guarantee. What to do?

EmilySusan

Asked by EmilySusan at 4:34 PM on Jun. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• Get a waterproof matress pad and plan to wash sheets a lot. Better to do it now that in the winter when they have TONS of blankets. If she wants to, by all means let her try! It might mean more work for you right now, but it will be worth it when they are both completely out of pull-ups!
    She need to know when she goes in order to stop it. The best way is with the undies. You can always buy the thicker training ones, since they hold sooooo much more! You could call them their "night undies" for both girls, and make a big deal out of keeping them dry!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 4:38 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• i used to carry my dd to the bathroom about 3 hours after she would go to sleep. Usually at 10:30 ot 11 I took her and then she could stay dry the rest of the night. She never woke up..I just put her on potty and told her to pee..she is now 8 and wakes up on her own.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:38 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Thanks for the replies... @ Christyg -- the thing is, I'm not sure that she knows when she has gone -- even in undies. So many times (she has tried underwear on and off for awhile now, but usually after 3-4 nights in a row of it my husband and I have always talked her back into pull-ups again) I'll get her in the morning and she'll be soaked and NOT with fresh pee... I've even tried putting her on the potty before I go to bed (10:30 or 11) and this has sometimes worked, sometimes not... but there have been times I've gone in there to take her to the potty and she's snoozing away, soaking wet. She just sleeps right through it...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 4:46 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• All that said, I don't mean to seem like I'm not willing to put forth the effort... Which is why we have kept letting her try... I'm on board for cleaning up potty messes, which is why I've been able to handle training my girls on the younger side... But I'm just not sure whether trying night after night will make a difference or just make everyone tired and work our washing machines to death lol
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 4:49 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• My dd sleeps like a rock like that! sometimes i had to take her twice a night if she drank alot or slept forever. She will sleep 11 hrs and really couldnt wake up to pee. She has no control over it. Can you put undies over the pull up? That may satisfy her.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:50 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I fostered a little girl who slept like a ROCK. She was so difficult to night train. I ended up having to wake her up once an hour til 2 or 3 in the morning and carry her to the bathroom and make her go. After about a week I cut it back to every 90 mins.... then 2 hours... then 3 and finally only before I went to bed. It took some time but we got it done. The biggest thing was praise. After a week of dry nights she got to pick what I made for dinner on Friday, after 2 weeks we had a special day for her, after 3 I bought her some new jammies and panties. Stick with it, plastic sheets and frequent washing are a pain but the look of pride on her face when she makes it a week will bring you to joyous tears.
    lildudesmomma

Answer by lildudesmomma at 4:58 PM on Jun. 4, 2010