For moms who work odd hours, how did you go about finding childcare?

I am about to start a new job and my hours will be crazy at first. I will have to work some nights and weekends for the first month or so. The problem is that my husband works odd hours already so our schedules will overlap on certain days. When he is off he will be able to watch our son, but when he has to work, we won't have anyone. My sister might be able to watch him some days but not every day. So, I need to find childcare. Almost all of the daycares around here close at 6 and I won't be able to pick him up until 7:30. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:36 PM on Jun. 4, 2010 in Money & Work

• I would suggest talking to In-Home providers.
    I run a daycare from my home, and I will occasionally keep two of my kiddos until 7:00 or 7:30 when they work late. Of course, they pay me extra. Even if they advertise their hours, it doesn't hurt to ask them. In this economy, its harder and harder to find kids, so providers are taking more untraditional hours......It does really cut into our family time, so expect to pay more for the later hours. If you are respectful of her time, pay her on time, and go out of your way to make her happy she will do the same in return for you. It can be a wonderful situation for everyone. I always joke with this particular family that we have "joint custody", because I se the kids as much as they do and I love them like my own!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 4:57 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I wish I could give you some advice but I'm in the same situation. That's the exact reason I don't have a job and it kills us. So I'm just gonna keep an eye on this question to see if someone knows anything. Lol Good luck
    momluvsmiles

Answer by momluvsmiles at 4:51 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I agree with Christy....if you are going through childcare assistance or not you can still go to the office and pick up a list of in home providers and there should be a few 24 hour places like my sons childcare provider.GL Call around and ask for references from the office too
    lendales_mommi

Answer by lendales_mommi at 5:03 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• If you do go with an inhome provider please be sure to pay them for their extra time and not just assume they have no better to do than watch your child. I speak from experience. I agreed to watch my neighbors kid a couple times a week now I watch her 5 days a week 9to9:30 and its getting old and they pay me even less than I have made from other kids I watched for less time
    Anonymous

• I use to have that work schedule except I did not have a husband and my job relocated me to another state and I knew nobody..
    What worked for me as one of the other moms stated was inhome providers. Check your local listings, nannie services, community and get referals..
    I am sure you will find someone that is trust worthy and meets your needs.
    Debonette

Answer by Debonette at 5:32 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I worked second shift at a transmission factory for three years and it was hell!! I had to work till 3:00am and I could not find anyone, at first of course it worked out, but the people started not wanting to stay till 3, or want nights off, or take the kids to there house so my kids were sleeping away from home 5 nights a week on someone elses floor,(I didn't want that) it was a running joke, my supervisor would say, YOU MOTHER CALLED AND FIRED YOUR BABYSITTER AGAIN, she would fire the bad ones because she was in the same town and I worked half and hour drive away. I feel so guilty, they were not treated right, one night the sheriff came to work and notified me my kids were taken in and the babysitter was drinking and driving, I never thought she was like that. Thats when I decided not more my babies are more important even if I am poor and homeless.
    Anonymous

• Anon 9:25 here I would ask a family member to help out or like others side, get a licensed in home provider.
    Anonymous

• I am facing the same problem for my last semester in Nursing School next fall. I have two days a week that I have to be out the door very early, and DH works nights. We have no family members in the area who are able to help.

You can Google "childcare resource and referral". I think most states have one. The in-home providers they list have had the training and background checks, but that is no guarantee that they are good. I will have to find one to get me through next fall. Just make up a list of questions before you go, and don't hesitate to call back later if you think of more questions.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:26 AM on Jun. 5, 2010