my 7 month old is 1 lb away from her weight limit in her infant seat, can anyone suggest a car seat for me?

I have a budget of 225 dollars MAX

Any tips on sales are appreciated too. i know babies r us has a 20 percent coupon on baby gear and we have amazon prime.

I drive a small 4-door sedan. (1992 acura vigor)

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 4:57 PM on Jun. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sunchine Kids RadianXTSL... its orginally $299... but if you go to www.babycarseats.com you can use a 20% code CARSEATS20 then call diapers.com and get them to price match it you are a first time customer you get an addition 10%. (www.babycarseats had the RadianXT on sale for $269.99 and I used the 20% and the additional 10% from diapers and got 2 of them for $194 each)
    They rear face until 45lbs (the highest rear facing limit of any seat in the US. My 2.5 and 4 year old are comfortable rear facing in them. They 5 point harness until 80lbs and booster till 100lbs.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 5:03 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• You should join a car seat safety group there are techs on there that can help you with any car seat question. They helped me find the right seats for my sons.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 5:04 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• We have the Britax Marathon & I really like it. It got excellent ratings. We purchased it also because of the high weight limit, so we can use it longer. It's Rear facing: 5 to 35 pounds plus Forward facing: At least 1 year old and 20 to 65 pounds. Also try Amazon.com for reviews & prices before you buy. You may be able to get it for less on Amazon. They offer free super saver shipping. Just don't forget to check that box when you you check out.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 5:05 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I looked at marathons but i don't have the money for one, i also looked at used and was scolded for doing that.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:12 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• where can i find this safety group?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:13 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• go to group search and search CAR SEAT SAFETY (that is also the name of the group there are several but that is the only one that is really active)
    I agree with not buying used seats, you can never know for sure if the seat has been in an accident. Some people do not know or do not care that they are selling an unsafe seat.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 5:18 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I was also going to mention thatthe Graco Myride65 is a GREAT seat it rear faces until 40lbs and you can usually find one on sale for around $115
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 5:21 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Get this First Years one. It is $178, below your budget and it's amazing. My oldest has the Britax Decathalon. It's nice until she grows and needs the straps adjusted or spills something in her seat and it needs to be cleaned because taking that seat in and out of the car to remove the cover or adjust the straps is an enormous pain. My middle child has the 1st Years one I linked to. It's awesome. It's comfortable and you can adjust the straps and remove the cover for washing all without uninstalling the seat. The cover snaps right off and the straps adjust with the touch of a lever. Love it!

ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 5:37 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• as a mom i would never sell a car seat that has been in an accident, or continue to use my kids car seat after an accident. it's just not a feasible thing to me, i don't see many moms saying 'hey its not safe enough for my kid because it was in an accident, lets sell so another kid can use it'

looking at these brands now, thanks.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:42 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Your 7 mo weighs 21 pounds? That's what my 20 mo grandson weighs. He has a medical condition that keeps him small but WOW you need to be careful so your baby doesn't become overweight.

Anonymous