Have you heard of the "Obama phone"

its a free cell phone intended for low income families who may need one in case of emergency. it gives 70 minutes a month, and in order to qualify you must be on public assistance (food stamps, tanf, work first, medicaid, medicare). I think it was a good idea, but as all things good, will be misused by someone! i intend on getting one, as i am on PA and cant afford a good cell plan, but i have seen far too many hood rats with them already! what do you all think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:57 PM on Jun. 4, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• We received something like this in the aftermath of Katrina, everyone got a cell phone with like 700 minutes...HOWEVER, once those minutes were gone, they were gone. BUT we did not have landlines, because well, 200mph winds..lol... and most of our cell phone towers were screwed. The phones were for us to call loved ones to let them know we were okay, to get in touch with FEMA, to keep in contact with our jobs, etc... it was pretty nifty... I think this could be a good idea, but I can see it being abused, people will be selling them ....
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 3:56 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• I don't know my sister has one she is on medical and food stamps she is a single mom so in her case I think it is a good idea
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 5:07 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I get medical and FS and I will not get that. My oldest dd has a cell, and she put in a landline so she can get internet (a few years ago.) I don't see that I personally have a need for an additional phone, as much as I would love to have my own cell again. I have considered (for a minute, lol) getting this Obama phone for my other dd, who has discovered boys and is on the phone ALL.THE.TIME. But I figure the 70 minutes would be up the first night, so I won't even mention it...LOL..
    Anonymous

• Why is a cell phone something that the government would need to buy for someone? People survived for thousands of years without one! What's next, the government has to pay for internet? Lawn mowing? That's ridiculous.
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 6:12 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Seriously, Laura! My mother has never had anything other than a BASIC land line phone in her house--and with a basic answering machine, she never seems to miss any phone calls, and has no difficulty making calls. She pays $16 per month! She also lives in Boston--so, no...not in a rural area!

The problem with the younger generation, is they have no idea how nice it is when you CANNOT be reached. Some day you'll see! LOL :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:21 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• The problem with the younger generation, is they have no idea how nice it is when you CANNOT be reached. Some day you'll see! LOL :o)

Soooo true! I hated leaving the house when I had the cell phone. I swear, not 10 minutes would go by before someone would call, to know when I would be back. Or where I was going. Or what I was going to get. I love it now, without the cell! I can go, and no-one can bother me! Hehehe, no more annoying call after call wanting to know when I'll be back, what did I get, how long, mommy????
    29again

Answer by 29again at 7:23 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I heard of this program before Obama was in office. Or one like it.
    acurran88

Answer by acurran88 at 8:00 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I wanted to say, that I don't care if my husband came up with this idea, I think it's stupid and a waste of taxpayer's money! LOL I don't hate it because Obama supposedly "came up with it". It's just a dumb idea. :)
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 8:06 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• This will forever be one of my favorite candid shots related to this administration! LOL

Michelle Obama at soup kitchen.jpg

First Lady Michelle Obama stopped in at Miriam's Kitchen, a soup line for the homeless just seven blocks from the White House.

What's wrong with this picture?

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:11 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Someone at a soup kitchen with a cell phone.
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 8:17 PM on Jun. 4, 2010