• In the Spotlight:

Need help getting straight medicaid for my 8 month son...

Okay here it is. My son has severe to profound hearing loss in both ears, basically he's a step below being completely deaf. My medicaid hmo, SunshineHealth plan does not cover everything and takes a very long time to get things going. I really want my son to get fitted for his hearing aids and eventually get the cochlear implants soon. My audiologist said i should try to get switched to straight medicaid, which i currently have, but i don't know what to do. I've called disability and they said he is not "disabled" enough to be eligible. If i have it he should be able to as well. What can i do!!!!

CukieMunster09

Asked by CukieMunster09 at 5:09 PM on Jun. 4, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Hi: If you want to answer, or PM with what state you are in, I'll see if I can figure anything out for you. I'm a community-based (not office-based) pediatric nurse. My son also needs hearing aids. ;) Long story, he just won't wear them (he's 19 now)
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 5:17 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I am living in florida.
    CukieMunster09

Answer by CukieMunster09 at 5:43 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Your case worker who handles the recerts etc should be able to help you with this one.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 5:52 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• That's what i'm trying to do but my audiologist encourages me to change my medicaid plan to Straight medicaid but i don't know how to go about it...
    CukieMunster09

Answer by CukieMunster09 at 5:55 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Call the medicaid office and ask them.. In some states they offer different plans you can enroll in, if you are unhappy with this plan ask them how to switch. My son was on regular medicaid for special needs because the other plans did not offer the services he needed..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 6:07 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• See that's pretty much what i need... By regular medicaid do you mean straight? Or a HMO plan they have?
    CukieMunster09

Answer by CukieMunster09 at 6:13 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• http://ahca.myflorida.com/medicaid/beneficiary/englishpdf/ChildHealthPrimerBrochureEnglish_060810.pdf

This is the site for Florida medicaid services.  It does say that medicaid will cover cochlear implants, so I agree with a pp about talking to your caseworker and saying something like "I know that the law says medicaid will cover these, so please help me find the right plan to get this done.  Otherwise, I'll have to find a lawyer to help me."   (the "right plan" might be straight medicaid). And if you need a lawyer, we'll help you find one, if you can't.  :)  GL. 

kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:28 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• OP, yes regular medicaid in my state is straight medicaid no HMO type things..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:29 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• You can't just switch it. You should be talking to your case worker or see about getting your son on Social Security for his hearing loss. You may be able to switch HMO's to one that will cover the implants and hearing aids. The HMO I have covers so much more than I thought it would. It may not be about being on Medicaid HMO but the HMO what you chose. Coverage varies from HMO to HMO.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:05 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Like i said my audiologist and my pediactric doctor suggested i get Straight because there's less fuss and more doctors avaliable...I've called my case worker already and i am calling the department of children and families Monday.(Luckly i used to be a foster kid so my caseworkers will hopefully help me :)) I called the my medicaid caseworeker and they gave me a number to call...also on monday. They will evaluate whether my son is "handicapped" snough to have straight medcaid.

Does anyone have straight medicaid for their child? I want to know if it's at LEAST possible...

CukieMunster09

Answer by CukieMunster09 at 4:33 PM on Jun. 5, 2010