Is there any point arguing biblical things with non-believers?

In Mark 4 Jesus tells us that the "mystery of the kingdom of God" is nothing more than a parable to non-believers, something that is hard to figure out. They don't have the wisdom of God, and the Spriti of God, giving them understanding, so is it pointless to argue religious beliefs with a non-believer? Especially if they don't really want to know, they just want to answer?
I'm not talking about witnessing, or talking about Salvation, or even talking to someone with an honest question. I mean discussing with someone who doesn't want to believe like you, they just want to debate or argue.

Laura2U

Asked by Laura2U at 5:13 PM on Jun. 4, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Don't waste your time there is reasons why we don't believe in certain things like others do.
    Anonymous

• yup its pointless. I don't need the wisdom of god to show me the truth and neither did those before your bible writers
    WonderWoman1979

Answer by WonderWoman1979 at 5:16 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I forgot to post the verses. :)
    Mark 4:11- And he said unto them, Unto you it is given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God: but unto them that are without, all these things are done in parables:
    12- That seeing they may see, and not perceive; and hearing they may hear, and not understand; lest at any time they should be converted, and their sins should be forgiven them.
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 5:17 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• If it's pointless, then why do the non-believers post questions asking (baiting) Christians? Why not just leave it as it is?
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 5:18 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• It's about as pointless as arguing common sense with a Christian.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 5:20 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• No there isn't people believe what they believe and they aren't going to change their minds by arguing about it on CM. Same goes for nonbelievers trying to convince believers they are wrong.  I prefer to listen to what others have to say because I really like learning about other peoples beliefs, but trying to prove someone else wrong is pointless.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:20 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I don't think that verse is meaning what you think it means. Secondly, non-beleivers aren't the only ones doing the "baiting".
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:20 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Well, first off, many of us "non-believers" have proven to know the bible better than some self proclaimed Christians... In fact in quite a few instances I've heard Christians (or read their posts) stating that the non-believers had a better knowledge. You don't need to believe what the bible says to know what it says or to understand it. I don't believe in Harry Potter but that doesn't mean I can't understand what the books are talking about.

Second off, sometimes it's not a bad thing to try to see things from another angle. Many of the things people in this area as arguments are simply discussions...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:21 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Its not pointless.. who knows if a long time from now that one person you were trying to talk to about God looked back and remembered and found God. may seem pointless at the time of the argument, but who knows in the future.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 5:25 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Debating can be a healthy way to expand your mind and learn others points of view. I know i've learned quite a bit AND had my mind changed about some apsects of religions.
    "Arguing" is not productive but we all get caught up in it at times.
    Asking questions is NOT baiting (usually). but i noticed a lot of times Christians seem to take it as an attack when someone has simply asked a question or made a valid point within their arguement of the debate.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 5:26 PM on Jun. 4, 2010