Do you know someone who has succeeded against 'all odds?'

Let's be honest, people with f--ed up childhoods become f--ed up adults. Do you know people who have overcome their backgrounds/childhoods to become successful adults or is just one in a million?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:41 PM on Jun. 4, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I have. I was molested from 6mon-6years old, I was beaten almost daily by my stepfather from the time i can remember til i was 17. I was raped at 15. My mother was there but not there, I rarely got to see my father. I was always told that i was stupid and would never make anything of myself.

Now i am 28, happily married for almost 9 years. I have 3 wonderful children. And i am a damn good wife and mom.
    Anonymous

• Me!!!!!!An plenty others. Sounds like you are very judgmental.
    lendales_mommi

Answer by lendales_mommi at 5:44 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Besides myself? My Dh! My best friend... Yep, I know quite a few who went against the odds and became wonderful people and contributing members of society.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:47 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I was.. I had a crappy childhood, molested, raped, got into drugs and drinking. Now I am a college grad making great money with a wonderful family. Hubby and I have been married 18 years and we have 3 great kids. Our oldest just finished high school and starts college herself in Aug.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:48 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• My wonderful husband. When he was 4 his mom killed his dad and then killed herself. He grew up in foster homes. He was lucky and got adopted by a couple when he was 11. His life turned out amazing. His adoptive parents love him more than anything and they also love me and our kids. They provided him with everything he needed, and now he is a well-educated adult with a very good job. But what I love most is that he's the most amazing father a child coud ever have.
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 5:49 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Yes, I know an amazing young lady whose mother was a drug addict who abandoned her when she was a child, and her father was a raging alcoholic until 4 years ago. She had no family support whatsoever, yet she put herself through college and is now a schoolteacher and is going to be married to a wonderful guy next Friday evening. I have a close friend who was horribly abused by her parents as a child and she is now one of the most amazing mother's I've ever seen. She has 6 children and another on the way in September.My mother grew up dirt poor and her father was an alcoholic and her first marriage was an abusive one, ending in less than a year. She very soon after met my father and they've been happily married for 40 years.

I love reading these inspirational stories proving that because you have a crappy childhood,doesn't mean you can't go on to have a good life.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 6:06 PM on Jun. 4, 2010