Chores for young children....

Do/did your 5 and 6 yr old chidl(ren) have daily/weekly chores? my children have to keep their rooms clean, pick up their shared bathoom, and feed the animals. they are also responible for picking up any messes they make through out the house.

renniemom3

Asked by renniemom3 at 6:10 PM on Jun. 4, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Am just to harsh on them? or are there other moms who do the same?
    renniemom3

Answer by renniemom3 at 6:11 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• no.But hose are good chores for your kids.If YOU don't make the mess YOU don't have to clen it up.It's fair and it will teach your children responsibility.
    KaraEmomma

Answer by KaraEmomma at 6:12 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• My daughter has to put away her toys after playing and making her bed every weekend (although I always have to remake it if I want it to look good lol). She's also the one who feeds her snake. She's 5.
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 6:37 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• my seven years old have to wash dishes, clear the table after dinner, clean her room, and clean the kitty litter and see have been doing this since she was six, (except for the litter, we just got the cat). she get allowance based on the chores that she does throughout the week and how well she does them. chores teaches responsibility and the younger they start the more self reliant they are
    mom2gavahnyaand

Answer by mom2gavahnyaand at 6:43 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• No, my kids are 8 and 10 now but they each do one load of laundry/week, clear the supper table and sweep around the table once/week, clean their rooms (including vacuum and dusting), take out the trash, and help clean their bathroom (they clean the toilet and the vanity, I still do the tub - their part is rotated between them)

Answer by missanc at 9:21 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• daughter is 6..she cleans up her toys, sets and clears the table about 4-5 nights a week, and thats about it..ohhh and she cleans up all the dogs toys when i need to cut the grass..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:30 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• My kids have all had chores since they were 2. At 5 and 6 they were cleaning up after themselves in every room...toys, dishes, cleaning tables and floors if they spilled, laundry in the basket, folding and putting away their clean clothes, etc. anything that revolved around taking care of themselves and their things they did. They also emptied the dishwasher once or twice a week and helped take out the trash and carry in groceries.
    My 4yo does all of that now.
    We don't have a chart or anything and I don't have them doing stuff every day, usually just when it needs to be done. My older kids are now 7, 8 and almost 10 and they do their own laundry, too (since last summer so they were 6, 7 and 9 when I taught them) although the 7yo has to have someone help her because she can't reach the soap and doesn't understand the controls but I think she's figuring it out now.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:42 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• justanotherjen- I really like the way you are teaching your children responsibility, I think that I will teach my kiddos how to do laundry soon. Mine are 5,8,11 and I really do not put much of any responsibility on them. They have to keep their rooms cleaned thoroughout the week and every Saturday they do a major cleaning, but that is pretty much it. They think that the deserve "money" for doing chores. I think that is rediculus! So I'm ready to start adding chores to their list. After all it is up to me to make them responsible! I applaud parents that stick to it! Those kids will thank the parents later!
    jamiebrandon

Answer by jamiebrandon at 9:39 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• My daughter is five and has a few things she does. She knows what needs to be done and what is expected of her and she does it.
    She puts her clean clothes away, keeps the dirty ones in the basket, keeps her room clean, her half-bath clean, dog toys picked up, puts a trash bag in the trash can and puts it up every day when I take the trash out, feeds her dogs, helps w/dishes by rinsing and putting the non-breakable ones in the dish drainer, helps out w/laundry at the laundry mat by helping put them in the washer, putting the money in, transferring them to the dryer and folding them, carries in the lighter bags of groceries, scrapes her plate after meals and puts all her dishes in the sink.
    She loves her chores, says it makes her feel like a big girl.
    We do pay her $4/week w/the option of extra chores for extra money and she is saving half of her allowance for a movie in Sept.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 10:14 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• My DD will be 8yrs old in August. She cleans her own room. Picks up her things after she is done with them inside and outside. She puts away leftover food from dinner. helps with dishes. and sweeps the kitchen floor. Anytime I am cleaning something she always wants to help me.
    kathynej7142007

Answer by kathynej7142007 at 11:42 AM on Jun. 6, 2010