Declawing cats

Do you have your house cats' claws removed? if so is it the front claws only or both front and back sets?

renniemom3

Asked by renniemom3 at 6:43 PM on Jun. 4, 2010 in Pets

• It is better to get a tendonectomy (I may have spelled that wrong). Anyway, the vet just cuts the tendon. The claws are still there they just can't do anything with them. It's a easier operation and all around recovery for the cat.
    rlhall1980

Answer by rlhall1980 at 6:51 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I would NEVER declaw my cats. It's a horrible procedure.
    offrdngal

Answer by offrdngal at 6:53 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Ive never heard of that procedure. both out cats have had their front set removed. their recovery time was 2-3 days and they didnt seem to be alot of pain during the recovery.
    renniemom3

Answer by renniemom3 at 6:56 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I had all 4 of my cats claws removed only the front ones. The recovery went very smooth, it didn't seem to bother any of them. I understand why people might think its cruel, but they are put under. I think with their claws I would be worried around the baby.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 7:32 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• If you saw how the procedure was done YOU WOULD NEVER do it to your animal there is plenty of other alternatives soft claws(covers for nails you can either do this yourself or have your Vet's office do it),regular nail trimming, and scratch posts/boxes are just a few. Sorry for saying this but imagine someone ripping your own nails from your nail beds that is basically what they do and YES I did work in the Vet field for quite a few years so I know how it is done before I may get some kind of snarky comment.
    Anonymous

• Both, but is hard to find a vet that will do it with out giving you a lecture! When I had mine done I finally told her OK enough , if you don't want to do front and back I will find a vet that will!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:41 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• OP (and all those that have declawed your cats) find a dr that will cut your fingers off at the knuckle. Then go and try to do things you normally could have done when you had your fingers.

Essentially, declawing your cat is cutting off its toe's at the first knuckle. If your cat/s get out, they can't defend themselves, climb a tree to get away from an attacking dog, bear, pig...or other cats.

Try a scratching post, or if they are scratching something you don't want them to, try two sided tape on the things they are scratching. Or tape tin foil to the things they are scratching. Toys are fun too.

De clawing is inhumane and disgusting and it really should be outlawed.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 10:28 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Im sorry Acid but declawing served a purpose other than saving my couchs and such. i could careless about material things. my cats have a habit of being mean towards people including my kids. i would rather have been "inhumane" them to have my kids..cont.
    renniemom3

Answer by renniemom3 at 1:24 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• and vistors scracthed to peices. i grew up thinking the same way you do but my kids come before my cats comfort. and dont try the "give them away" thing. we all know it is extremely hard to find good homes for adult animals.
    renniemom3

Answer by renniemom3 at 1:28 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Both of our cats are indoor only, but 1 cat is declawed in the front and the other still has her claws. The cat that is declawed is so because of attacking ds (his owner) and my cat is not for the simple fact she doesn't use them on people if she starts on furniture a quick no is all it takes to get her to stop. A freind of mine had both her cats front and back paws done without any type of lecture from her vet.
    mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 4:09 PM on Jun. 5, 2010