What is the difference between magic and miracles?

This is an honest question and I look forward to seeing the answers as I know there will be several views. I just want to know what the difference is.

1 a : the use of means (as charms or spells) believed to have supernatural power over natural forces b : magic rites or incantations
2 a : an extraordinary power or influence seemingly from a supernatural source b : something that seems to cast a spell : enchantment
3 : the art of producing illusions by sleight of hand

and here is the definition of miracle

1 : an extraordinary event manifesting divine intervention in human affairs
2 : an extremely outstanding or unusual event, thing, or accomplishment
3 Christian Science : a divinely natural phenomenon experienced humanly as the fulfillment of spiritual law

WonderWoman1979

Asked by WonderWoman1979 at 7:13 PM on Jun. 4, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• one comes from God, the other doesnt.
    Anonymous

• the only difference I can really see is the word divine intervention and supernatural intervention. so here is the definition of supernatural

1 : of or relating to an order of existence beyond the visible observable universe; especially : of or relating to God or a god, demigod, spirit, or devil
    2 a : departing from what is usual or normal especially so as to appear to transcend the laws of nature b : attributed to an invisible agent (as a ghost or spirit)
    WonderWoman1979

Answer by WonderWoman1979 at 7:15 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Anonymous
    one comes from God, the other doesnt.

Diddo
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 7:21 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• No difference I see aside form the words chosen which are synonymous.

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:22 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• One comes from God (miracles) and the other comes from the devil (magic). People who used magic in the Bible were never talked of in a positive light.
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 7:27 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Magic as in Pagan type rituals comes from the gods,Miracles come from a God. Depends on what you believe in.
    Anonymous

I understand you're basing that opinon off of biblical references, but I do hope you realize that you will probably catch a LOT of flack for saying that... there are many lovely ladies on CM who practice magic, and not only are they not similar in any way to the devil, most (if not all) also don't even believe there IS a devil. This is going to really, really offend some people...

I don't believe in miracles, I believe in fortunate coincidences. If I have a heart attack, I'll credit the drs for saving my life, not a "miracle". Magic is another matter entirely... magic is believable (and I'm not talking about "Charmed").
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 7:36 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I think I only got like one side of answers not related to the bible. So basically really all it is is a name right? I mean the definitions look the same. How can we say one is evil and not the other? HOw do we know the difference?
    WonderWoman1979

Answer by WonderWoman1979 at 7:43 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I was asked my opinion. Should I not answer then? I don't get to say my opinion because it might offend someone? And how is it offensive to say that people who used magic were never talked of in a positive light in the Bible? I didn't say people who use magic are scum-sucking lowlifes who don't deserve to live. (I don't believe that, btw)
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 7:44 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• you answered and made your point and so did others.
    WonderWoman1979

Answer by WonderWoman1979 at 7:48 PM on Jun. 4, 2010