So I'm about 9 1/2 weeks pregnant, and I had my first ultrasound a couple of weeks ago they said the heart beat is strong and they can see the baby even though it kept hiding for the pictures. Well they told me that there is a possibility that I have 2 small cysts on the umbilical cord, but not to worry b/c they haven't seen it in 20 yrs and I have another ultrasound the 23rd of tis month. Should I really be worried about this or has anyone heard of this?

Side note when I first found out I was pregnant I was spotting but it only lasted a couple of hours and hasn't happened since. I also had a miscarriage about 3 yrs ago, I was at the end of my 12 week.

Gracieandbaby

Asked by Gracieandbaby at 7:20 PM on Jun. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I think you need to get another opinion and a more detailed ultrasound to make sure.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 7:42 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• This is what I read about it:

Umbilical cord cysts are outpockets in the cord. They are found in about 3 percent of pregnancies (2).

There are true and false cysts:

True cysts are lined with cells and generally contain remnants of early embryonic structures.

False cysts are fluid-filled sacs that can be related to a swelling of the Wharton's jelly.

Studies suggest that both types of cysts are sometimes associated with birth defects, including chromosomal abnormalities and kidney and abdominal defects (2). When a cord cyst is found during an ultrasound, the provider may recommend additional tests, such as amniocentesis and a detailed ultrasound, to diagnose or rule out birth defects.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 7:43 PM on Jun. 4, 2010