Does it seem no matter what you do to entertain the kids

they still seem to always be bored unless their sitting in front of the TV or playing video games?

Man they check in every hour when they go down to the skate park or the little park behind our house and every time they check in they ask if they can go here or there or do this or that...like there already so bored it's been two days since they've been on summer vacation. Man...they don't like to ride the new bikes they just got they want to go to the rec center but I know once I buy them a membership this summer they will soon be bored with that too...geez kids these days. What happened to imaginations or just fun out door games. I had them make colognes the other day of out door stuff and one for continuation with photos of that day. How do you deal with keeping them happy and entertained at this age? Ages 11, 11,

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:36 PM on Jun. 4, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Yes, my son is 10 and this is what I came up with. Every time he comes to me and says he's bored, I say no problem....I've got something you can do. Sweep the floors, clean your room,wash the dishes, pull some weeds..LOL...yeah..he entertains himself REAL quick at that point,lol. Also I've noticed this...the more tv I let him watch, the more video games he plays, the worse he gets.He was grounded from the tv and WII for an entire grading period because his grades were horrible and after a couple weeks..he was reading books without me telling him to and coming up with his own ideas for stuff to play. He was more content to sit in his room and play with toys,run out in the yard.It makes a big difference.But its the dame for grownups too!Our electricity was out once for like 3 days here..we had so much fun that I was almost sad it came back on!!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:37 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• i go and play wit them .. well my 12 year old cousins anyway .. the other day we were at the beach and they were bored lookin bored .. so i just got all of them together and we payed "girl " touch football . thatrs wat they call it .we had fun !! then we race swimming i think they just love to beat me .
    michmm03

Answer by michmm03 at 8:42 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• When they watch a lot of tv and play video games they get bored a lot more once it's off. It's like they have forgotten that there's a host of things that they can do. For summer, I already laid down the plans and made a list of goals. So we are going to stick to that one. Aside from that we will have fun this summer. At home, they bake with me, cook, clean, do the laundry, garden, we also paint, sketch, read, watch movies at home...We will also be doing a lot of activities outside the home. There are days when I feel too lazy to do things with them so I let them watch their favorite pre-recorded shows or they can play video games but that's kinda rare. We are usually doing activities everyday.
    LavenderRose10

Answer by LavenderRose10 at 4:19 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• I actually just got into a huge argument with my almost 10yo about this last night. She wanted to sit on her butt and watch TV all night long and I said no. She threw a fit and wanted to play the Wii or on the computer or her DS and I said no. So she started carrying on about how there was NOTHING to do. Her brother and sisters and me all found stuff to do. I was reading on the porch, her brother was riding his bike up and down the street, her one sister was reading but then decided to write her own story and her 4yo sister was drawing (all of us outside). She sat there crying and carrying on about how bored she was and how I don't like her and don't let her do anything, lol. She had just as many options as anyone else, she chose to be bored.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:50 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• TV and video games are visually stimulating so when kids are NOT watching them, they get BORED! You need to dream up something for her to do that activates more than one of her five senses. Like COOKING, BAKING, LEARNING TO SEW, KNIT, CROCHET, EMBROIDER, LISTENING TO GOOD MUSIC while doing any of these things helps, TAKING MUSIC LESSONS, READING, DRAWING or COLORING, PLAYING OUTSIDE (our children DO NOT get enough outdoor time like we did when we were kids). Hope this helps.
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 11:56 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• nah... my kids are not video game kids. But they will run to the tv when board.
    Anonymous