Spinoff: If the Holy Spirit gives so much knowledge to believers......

then why are there so many different Christian denominations? Shouldn't the Holy Spirit give the same knowldege to everyone who follows the bible? Or, are some denominations being mislead somewhere along the line?

spiritguide_23

Asked by spiritguide_23 at 7:53 PM on Jun. 4, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• i think they are being misslead and think about the times we are in ...."ME ME ME.... GIVE ME GIVE ME GIVE ME! religion through time has changed because "man" has become selfish. they try to justify their own sins through scripture. that is another reason why there are soooooo many "versions" of the Bible.
    Anonymous

• I wondered why there wer so many versions of the bible myself and why some scriptures are not in the bible. Who had the right to decide what went in and what did not? Who had the right to change the holy day to a sunday? who had the right to convert pagan beliefs and claim as theirs
    WonderWoman1979

Answer by WonderWoman1979 at 7:57 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Why are you and others so intent on discrediting Christians & the Bible? If you don't believe in the teachings of the Bible or agree with Christianity that's your choice. But why so concerned about the choice we've made & why we've made it? Why so adamant about trying to disprove or cast doubt on the Holy Spirit, or anything else about Christianity that you clearly do not agree with or believe? Why does it bother you so that we believe what we believe?
    Anonymous

• um...do not point fingers my dear. We are simply discussing something and trying to understand things that is all. Some of us are searching for truth while others are just curious. We are not trying to do any harm to you. The problem is not with the person who believes but in the belief that you are right and we are wrong and that is just that and we are damned because we don't believe. That is the problem if you really want to know. If you would just believe what you believe, we believe what we believe and we are free to ask honest questions then we wouldn't have a problem now would we?
    WonderWoman1979

Answer by WonderWoman1979 at 8:06 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Ohhhh, anon, I wasn't aware that a "non-believer" wasn't allowed to ask questions like this. Yet, Christians are allowed to ask us questions about our beliefs and belittle and berate us whenever they so choose. I see how the world is supposed to work in your eyes. Sorry, but it doesn't REALLy work that way though. And, to be brutally honest, I am getting kind of tired of being told that I can't "understand" something just because I don't believe a certain way anymore.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 8:34 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• The core beliefs of many religions, including all the Christian denominations are very similar. It's the smaller details that create all the differences and IMO they just are that important. Jesus was here to teach us the importance of Love, Faith and Charity.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:48 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Denominations are man made. God considers all believers to be of one body. The Holy Spirit does give interpretation, but it's up to the individual to seek it and then apply it. Many people, are shown the truth & choose not to act on it. That's where free will comes in.

Anyone who follows a particular religion does so because they believe it is the right one. It would make no sense to follow a religion that you didn't believe in your heart is the right one. I believe with everything in me that the Bible is true and that believing on & trusting in Jesus Christ is the only way I will spend eternity with Him in Heaven. since this is my choice of belief & the Bible states that the one & only true God of the universe is the God of the Bible, that leaves me to believe that I have made the right choice & any other choice would be wrong. Just as you have made your decision and feel that you are right.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 8:50 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Each denomnation will take passages from the Bible and give them their own interpretation , give different meanings to the Bible and the writings . After all, the Bible was written by men after Jesus died...a few hundred years after, They wrote from memory and hearsay and gave their own interpretations of Biblical history,too, So,it is not suprising that we all hear different things at different churches.
    Anonymous

• I think this is a valid question - even for us Christians to consider amongst ourselves. The Holy Ghost is only capable of testifying of truth, so there must be other things going on that make us have differing beliefs. I suspect there's lots of issues in the mix. I'll just dip into one:

Isaiah 28:10, I think gives a great insight into how God teaches us: "For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:"

He doesn't reveal all His truths all in one massive revelation from the Holy Ghost all at once (too overwhelming)...it's bit by bit, precept by precept - depending on how much each individual person is ready to handle at any given time. So I suspect many different denominations are just at different levels in general "deepness" of revelation that participants are ready for.
    Anonymous

• i have my own opinions about this, but this question reminds me of a wonderful woman i knew who used to say "my god is big enough to hold all of this, is yours?" - who's to say it can't ALL be true, and not just the Christian religions, but ALL of it.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 11:01 PM on Jun. 4, 2010