Potty Training round 2!!

My middle child knows EXACTLY what to do- he's about 2 1/2 now. However every time we ask him if he wants to go, he tells us he wants a Lightening McQueen Potty. He's been saying it for months!! So, do we give in and buy him a Lightening McQueen Potty Chair in the hopes that he'll start using it? Or tell him to put up with the not-so-cool potty? We tried putting McQueen stickers on the potty he has, but he wasn't fooled lol...I don't want him to use potty training as leverage to get what he wants, but what if it works?!?!

livn4hevn

Asked by livn4hevn at 7:56 PM on Jun. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's just a potty...try it. Geeze. It may be just what he needs. Beside, at 2.5, he is just now at the average potty training age.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:59 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• but I mean isn't that like "buy me a car and I'll learn how to drive?" Like, the potty should be a REWARD... I don't want to start a pattern of me catering to him to get results. I don't want him to think that we'll buy him the moon if he just does what we ask...He's a smart little sucker. And if I buy the potty, I'm afraid he'll just come up with another thing I should buy him, and another, and another.... to see how far we'll let him take it.
    livn4hevn

Answer by livn4hevn at 1:47 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Buy it or not, he will learn to potty before he is grown. Don't make it such a big issue. He will learn. Putting so much focus an energy like you are doing will backfire. My son was smart and was showing signs early, but, I waited until he was 2.5, then, I took a week of nothing but putting him to potty every thirty minutes, by day three...he was both day and night trained, no accidents, nothing but real undies. He didn't get rewards. He was told matter of factly that he was old enough to go and he was going to go.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:14 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• i'm not really putting a lot of energy into it. I'm not even doing what you did with your son.... in fact we haven't even really tried. We just ask him about it when we change his diaper or randomly throughout the day and he doesn't say "yes" or "no". he says "lightening mcqueen potty". We had him convinced, momentarily, that the potty he had was the same one Lightening McQueen uses...but he still wouldn't go in it. That's why I'm pretty sure he's just tryin to pull somethin on us.

The only thing I've really done is post this question lol... my husband wants to start putting him in underwear and telling him it's time to go...but we did that with our first and he was really difficult to train. We're trying to make this round a bit easier.
    livn4hevn

Answer by livn4hevn at 2:13 PM on Jun. 5, 2010