Would it matter to you....

...if you could PROVE your beliefs, or is simply believing enough?

(I ask, because a good friend is at the point of questioning, and needing proof. Everyone around her is telling her that she does not need proof, or rational thought, and that there is something wrong with her for questioning the legitimacy of the religion she was brought up in. Her argument at this point, is that she simply can not believe in something that can not be proven.)
***Note that I do not talk religion with her, as she in in a very fragile place, and I am not going to be the one to influence her. It would drastically affect her family relationships if she were to begin to follow the same path as I.

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 7:56 PM on Jun. 4, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• She only needs to prove her beliefs to herself. If the proof she currently has is not satisfactory to convince her of her beliefs then she should seek out more evidence. It may be that in the course of events she takes on a new perspective which slightly alters her beliefs. Nothing wrong with that. Afterall her beliefs are hers, no one else's.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:10 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I think it is wrong for someone to tell your friend not to question. Isn't that how we grow? If we do not understand, we question. She has to find her path on her own and I have no doubt she will. Others do not need to influence the way we feel or think. We have free will..that is at least one thing many of us can agree on yet it seems that we disagree on how to use it
    WonderWoman1979

Answer by WonderWoman1979 at 7:59 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I can understand why your friend has questions. Im kinda at the same place as her and am not really sure what I believe right now.
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 8:01 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Just search you know? I mean I can give you a whole bunch of truths and facts that are written as proof of things but not to influence you in any way. You can make up your own mind
    WonderWoman1979

Answer by WonderWoman1979 at 8:02 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I would love to able to prove my beliefs, for a few reasons. One, because then -I- would know they were right. I THINK they're right already, but I'm also willing to believe we could ALL be wrong, it would be nice to settle the debate once and for all!
    Second, it would keep people from trying to convert me.
    Third, it would get religion and god out of my government, and hopefully cut back on some of these delightful wars humans insist on having over it.
    The only downside is we probably wouldn't get christmas off anymore.

Your friend will come to her own conclusions... maybe she'll never go back to her faith, maybe she will see proof of god's existance in a sunset or a newborn baby. She'll know what she's looking for when she finds it, and nobody can help her do that.
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 8:04 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• The thing is if you read the scriptures, there are plenty of examples of people seeing miracles, angels, all sorts of "proof" things, and still not believing or choosing to follow what they saw.

In other words, I don't think seeing is believing...or that "proof" alone is enough to motivate a personal conversion.
    Anonymous

• Beliefs are generally based on proof, or at least what we see as proof. If we didn't have proof in what we believe we wouldn't believe it. The key is that we each have to interpret what we see by ourselves - which is why we each have different beliefs.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:08 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• um because we didn't see it? i mean seriously...is that even right to compare? What about those people who did see and still didn't believe? It obviously wasn't that powerful then or they can use their own minds? No one should be converted to anything period!!! If things are so highly debatebal, to me it shows lack of proof, factual events and grounds in which we SHOULD believe. We can't even agree on how the dinos died. We just have hypothosis.
    WonderWoman1979

Answer by WonderWoman1979 at 8:08 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I am extremely hesitant to speak with her, because IRL I am just as frank as I am here. I do not want to overstep my bounds, and say something that has the potential to do more harm than good.
    She has leaned toward agnostic for years, but more recently is questioning the legitimacy of all forms of a "higher power".

She has asked a lot of very pointed questions, which I was eager to answer, but the agreement we have had for years (agree to disagree, and simply keep our beliefs to our self) which has served as a basis of mutual respect and regard, has literally stopped me in my tracks.
    I would love to sit, and share my personal beliefs, convictions, conclusions, etc. But I do not want to influence her, in the fragile state she is already in. That would be wrong.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:11 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• That is really touchy one. I think you are right in not just sitting down and being blunt because she is in a fragile state and too many take advantage of that
    WonderWoman1979

Answer by WonderWoman1979 at 8:14 PM on Jun. 4, 2010