For mothers who named their children Unique and different names.

what where ppls' reactions to the names (especially family) and did you get crap for naming your child something so different? I have a name for my daughter that's due in 3 mos. It's not ghetto, it's just different and it has meaning for me. I'm excited about the name, but when ppl ask me if I have any ideas yet I don't want to tell them for fear of having them tell me that I'm making a mistake and blah, blah, blah. What has your experience been?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:05 PM on Jun. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• My son's name is Bergen and people either love it,or hate it. My mom stil hates it to this day! Alot of people pronounce it wrong,its BURR-GEHN and they say BUR-JEN lol!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:09 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Like Jergen's Lotion?
    Anonymous

• kinda,yeah! It means "hill dweller"

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:12 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• My oldest is names Tatjana; the J says Y. Every doctor we've been to, or anywhere else they call out her name, they get it horribly wrong. Not even close to sounding it out sometimes! So number 2, Sydney, I wanted to spell Cydnee but i didn't want to correct people more than I wanted the spelling. So my advice is if it's spelled in a way that can be pronounced by the family, it's you child and their opinions shouldn't matter.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 8:14 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• If you choose to name your name a "unique name", for God's sake:

1. Make sure it's easy to SPELL, and
    2. Make sure it's easy to PRONOUNCE.

I was cursed with a "unique" name. It's NOT a made-up name. It's a name that was used in the early 19th century, and was popular back then. I've never met ANYONE with my name. It's difficult to pronounce and spell, and I've spent the last 36 years having to correct people on these two points. I'm sure I've been passed over for many jobs because of my "unique" name.

Please don't do this to your child. It's not right...just not right.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:16 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• lol ^ ppl will always have an opinion about the names we name our children. i ended up changing my sons name-hes 2 now- at the las min when i really was set on one-cause my fam was giving me grief. i refuse to change my soon to be daughters name, im now prego with my daughter, an they still have something to say about it. but oh well. its my kids name, not theirs. its unique an different, who wants to name their kid something common??
    JaydnsMom22

Answer by JaydnsMom22 at 8:16 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Btw, my real name is not "Fallaya"...that's just my Cafemom username! Just wanted to clarify! :-)
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:17 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• My son's name is Raab. Alot of people would give me crap for it because it was soo uncommon but other people really like. But really its not that uncommon, its short for Robert in German but most people havent herd it so they thought it was weird. But my parents liked it better then Commin or Zie like i was going to name him lol.
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 8:17 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I know what you mean about naming a child a name and people pronounce it different like I remember in school there was a very pretty girl in my class and her name was "Leticia" well everyone would pronounce it "La-Tisha" she hated that it is pronounced in Spanish but not every one can speak Spanish (Letty-sia). So if you don't want anyone to make fun of your child's name pick another name if you like it that much name your pet that sorry. people n kids could b so cruel.
    Anonymous

• My daughter's name is Victoria...a common name, but beautiful. And classy. I've never regretted giving her a common name.
    Anonymous