Is it any different?

For an Atheist to share their beliefs with someone who is on the fence, tan for a christian to "witness"?

(regarding the previous Q I asked about my friend)

For some reason, I feel it would be wrong of me to potentially influence the beliefs of another person. Though that is the express intent of a christian who is "witnessing".
Would it not equate to the same, for me to share my beliefs with someone who is interested, to "Enlighten" them to the concept of logic?

(I feel dirty when I think about it in those terms of "Converting people" or "Soul saving")

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 8:18 PM on Jun. 4, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm an atheist also and I feel that anyone knowledgeable should "witness", teach or enlighten others to their way of thinking ONLY when asked. And if you aren't knowledgeable, refer the asker to someone who is, don't give them some half-baked version. I make comments degrading religious things often enough in public and have had to apologize for offending, but had the non-offended want to discuss more. That should happen away from those who don't want to hear your opinion to prevent arguing and close off real communication.

I think your particular issue is very delicate and the only thing I can think that I would do is talk to your friend about why she likes her religion/church. Ask questions to get her to thinking on her own, without adding your opinion. Show her you support her through it all.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 8:35 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Not any more wrong than someone sharing what they believe with you.
    Anonymous

• m2, this is a forum used to have discussions. All aspects of conversation, opinion, and personal belief are open to the public. It is not a platform for converting peoples beliefs, but rather, for discussion. Anyone coming here already knows and expects that, and makes the decision to expose their self to all available opinions.

Yes, this, a public forum, if drastically different than intentionally affecting those in our personal lives.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:27 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I think it depends on if the person asks your take on things or not. If they ask, share, and share why you believe as you do but emphasize not all beliefs are the same, they are subject to the individuals interpretation or beliefs and they are free to believe differently than you.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:30 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• If you'r really afraid of influencing her too much or being too blunt with her direct her to a religious quiz (like the beliefnet one) to help her figure out what she aligns with most so that she can start learning more about it.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:34 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Here she has proof of her claims.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:37 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• It isn't that different. If you constantly say things like you do here like, "Christians are mentally ill," etc., and if someone here starts to believe what you say.....then how is it "drastically different"? Does it really matter if I'm trying to persuade someone on the computer, on the phone, using the mail, or in person??

I simply state my beliefs and opinions, I am in no way trying to convert.
    Everyone I know in my personal life understands that this is what I believe, and we simply agree to disagree- Even joke "Ah, you're crazy but I still love you!". It is a fact and fact of my personal relationships, this is no different.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:43 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• If someone is interested in hearing about what my beliefs are then I like sharing them, I'm also interested in hearing about the beliefs of the other person as well. 

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:45 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I say just acknowlege her feelings first. Ask her to open up to you and ask questions. If you want to tell her your beliefs you can do it in an indirect way. Just tell her you agree when you agree and she will like that, and not really that you disagree. Im not sure if thats good advice but it sounds positive to me.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 8:47 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• If she has directly asked your opinion on things and honestly wants to know, then tell her. If she is a friend and knows you are blunt, she will be prepared to hear what you have to say. You may not change her mindset as much as you think you will. In my opinion, if someone is so weak in their beliefs that they will change their minds because of something someoe said (whether in person or elsewhere) they couldn't have been in the right place in the first place. And, I'll put money on it that you were raised Christian, weren't you? lol
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 8:47 PM on Jun. 4, 2010