do you think its okay for parents to let their kids think they win all the time? are you that kind of parent?

I let my son know if he has lost if we play a game. I don't let him think he wins in everything but i have met parents who are like..."yay, you won" at every single thing.

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 8:42 PM on Jun. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• No, it is not okay at all. How are we supposed to prepare them for the real world when everything at home works in their favor. We play board games a lot and no, I do not "let" either one (they are 5 and 7, not including my newborn) just win. If they win (and sometimes they do!) great, if not, they say "aw, man, maybe next time" and move on.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 8:45 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Heck no! lol.
    If he's gonna win..he better play hard and beat me! LOL...I'm just kidding :)
    When he was smaller and we would play some board or card games and I kept winning...to be honest I would let him win a couple times just because he looked so sad and I wanted to boost his confidence. But when I win, I make sure that I show him what a good sport is as well as when I lose. I make a big deal out of him winning ,clapping my hands and telling him its cuz he's learned from the best...his momma! LOL.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:46 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I have 2 kids that are less than 2yrs apart. i cannot let them both think they won so i dont even try. no matter who wins at games i always make it fun for everyone.
    renniemom3

Answer by renniemom3 at 8:47 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• My daughter is still a young toddler, so winning isn't everything.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:48 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I started out letting them win to TEACH them how to not-win gracefully. Most kids get upset and cry thinking they are losers (in general). I teach them that it's ok not to win and they are sill winners in life.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:49 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I think it is wrong to let them win ll the time. Then as they continue to play they don't know how to lose. When playing games with my girls I make sure that we celebrate for whoever wins and are happy for her.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 9:21 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• No. I tell my daughter honestly but nicely that if she doesn't accomplish something, than I just say "uh oh, try again!" instead of making her think she's still winning or doing something right. It's okay to be honest with your kids, just be encouraging not degrading.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 10:19 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• No. Children need to learn defeat, they need to know what its like to lose and to know that it's not a big deal. A game is a game. I went to school with plenty of arrogant, overly competitive jerks that were the worst kind of losers. It's like they expected to win at everything and the only thing I could ever think of is that their parents never gave them a chance to fail at anything. My kids are 4 and 5, we play games and if they lose neither one has ever thrown a fit or pouted, they both sort of brush it off and laugh.
    Anonymous

• No. I taught my child when she was very young that it's ok to lose. I taught her to shake hands and say "congratulations, mommy" if I win fairly at a game. It's only right. Heck, even Yo Gabba Gabba has a song about winning and losing! "Either way, it's OK!"
    ThaMCE

Answer by ThaMCE at 10:37 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I try to find a good thing about every situation win or lose but I don't "always" let him win.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 10:48 PM on Jun. 4, 2010