My 3 year old is reluctant to stay in her bed and after I put her there, she gets up and wants to play by 9pm! What can I do to keep her in her bed till morning?

momtotwo249

Asked by momtotwo249 at 8:50 PM on Jun. 4, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• at her age I would 1st time look her in eye say bed time & out her in bed, after that if she gets out say nothing just put her back into bed. also for my 3 yr old if she naps I have this issue so i would say no more naps so you can put her to bed by 8pm & have no issues.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 8:56 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I have been struggling with my four year old over a year now, since 3 years of age he gets out of bed and comes out into the living room and uses all the excuses in the book not to go to bed like I have to pee pee, I have to drink, I'm hungry etc. etc. he is almost five years old and still comes out. He stopped taking naps at about 12 months he goes to bed at eight and doesn't go to sleep till about midnight so between those 3-4 hours he drives me nuts, I have tried EVERTYTHING. My sister told me I should try what nanny911 does every time he gets out of bed go put him back no matter how long it takes and it may take up to couple days to get it to work but it's hard to do that when you have to work in the morning, UGH so I know how you feel momma

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 9:04 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Thankyou for responding to my question!!! Its hard to keep their routine up since they kinda dont have one. It doesnt help me a whole lot since my husband is out of town for two to three weeks at a time so basically Im a single mom and its soooo hard !!!
    momtotwo249

Answer by momtotwo249 at 9:05 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Maybe do more routine at bedtime. bath Lather with lotion. then cuddle and read a couple books...that nightly routine may help her understand that it is bedtime and soothe her. Just an idea..

PROUD CEOMOM JESSICA
    http://www.internetceomoms.com/westfamily
    texasmommy1216

Answer by texasmommy1216 at 9:07 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Is your 3 year old still having a nap during the day? I found that when my son was still having a nap, no matter how short it was, during the day he would be up playing in his room until 10pm.
    As soon as I cut out day time naps he started going to bed and staying there until morning.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 9:11 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Put her to bed later. Some kids don't need to go to bed until 10 or 11.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:18 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• What's worked for us is that her room is very safe. Once the bedtime routine is finished she can play quietly on her bed, but is not to open her door unless she has to potty or is hurt. We've used a baby gate at her door for the longest time. It was put there at first to keep the cat from "knocking" at her door when she was a baby. I've been trying to not use it so much mainly because she's getting heavy and long. Lifting her up over is getting rough, but she "fussed" at me the few times she found out it wasn't put up.

Good luck.
    Spottychan

Answer by Spottychan at 10:49 AM on Jun. 6, 2010