How can I stop my 8mth to stop biting on my breast?

My 8 mth old baby loves to bite my nipples when I Breasfeed, How do I get her to stop or should I just stop Breastfeeding? thnk u

vania_jmz

Asked by vania_jmz at 9:31 PM on Jun. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Good grief. Ignore the previous posters.

1. Be sure that she's hungry and you haven't been missing her signs that she's done. An actively nursing baby can't bite.
    2. When she does bite pull her TOWARD you. This will temporarily block her nostrils and she will reflexively open her mouth (and before a troll says that's suffocation, that's not what it is. )
    3. Say "no, that hurts" firmly, frown, end the session and put her down (don't do anything that might make it seem like a game). She will get the idea.
    4. Check for teething sore gums might mean she might chomp down.

You don't have to stop breastfeeding.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:42 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• BUST HER BUTT !
    Anonymous

• Dont "bust " her little butt! A liitle tap on the butt may help or does she have any hair? I have heard or people that everytime therer baby bit they would pull the hair a little. GL
    Anonymous

• Stop Breastfeeding.
    Anonymous

• Bust her butt or pull her hair? Are you people insane??
    UGH!
    You do not need to wean. Plenty of moms have been bit and plenty got through it. Tell her no biting. Remove her from the breast and set her down. After a minute pick her back up and nurse her again. She will associate the biting with separation from you. gdiamante, please correct me if I have misspoken on this.
    Visit the Breastfeeding Group. There is a stickied post called "When babies attack" that has detailed instructions on what to do.
    No need to give up on giving your child the best thing you can because of this. And certainly NO reason to hurt them!
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 9:43 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• ^^^^
    This

Amilee gave you the same exact info I was going to.

Biting is NEVER a reason to stop- Teeth are new, and she does not realize she is hurting you. If she gets a reaction, it's something fun... Make it clear that it is not a game, and she will stop.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:44 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I forgot to finish #4, if she's teething try soothing her gums a bit with something cold before nursing. But mainly, if a baby is biting they aren't nursing. A baby who is suckling has their tongue covering their bottom gums/teeth. My baby has only chomp on me when she's trying to tell me she's done and I'm not paying attention or she's trying to tell me she's wet and needs a diaper change.

I NEVER hit her, pull her hair, or thwack her cheek. That's just mean and cruel. I don't know what is wrong with some people that they suggest physical punishment at the first sign of an issue. It's a clear lack of respect and intelligent thought.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:48 PM on Jun. 4, 2010