Do you think it's ok for women to be ministers/preachers?

I would love to be a minister and work with teens. My FIL says that the Bible clearly states that women are not to teach in Church. but why not? (I've seen other female ministers). This is something I really want to do. It really hurt my feelings that he said this : ( Is this how everyone feels? Should I think about doing something else? He told me that I obviously don't know the Bible well enough to be a minister. ooo that man makes me so mad sometimes!! Anyways just wondering what your thoughts were?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:36 PM on Jun. 4, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• NOPE! WE HAD A WOMAN MINISTER IN OUR CHURCH AND ALL OF US WERE VERY UNHAPPY ABOUT IT! SHE HAD TO GO AND EVENTUALLY WAS FORCED INTO RESIGNING.
    Anonymous

• rediculous! women are equal to men, and more compassionate and understanding with less physical activilty needed to make a connection, women should do it too. it's crazy and stupid to think a woman can't do it.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:39 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• It is up for interpretation... Though most men still cling to this belief, and several religious sects as well (you just TRY to tell a baptist that women should be allowed to minister).
    The bible 'clearly" states nothing, as it it up to personal interpretation- If you are interested in becoming ordained, look into Methodism.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:41 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Honestly if its God's calling for you to preach then you will do it weather people support you or not. Preaching the gospel is not easy and along the way you may loose family members and friends because they don't support what you do. But remember God is in control and you follow what he tells you. Not what other people tell you to do. Or its not the will of God.
    ddsunshine

Answer by ddsunshine at 9:43 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Go for it! I haven't heard anything about women ministers molesting little children.. if anything it's probably safer!
    Anonymous

• IF U WANT TO DO IT GO FOR IT GIRL !
    Anonymous

• Did he show you where in the bible it states that?? Because church is the people and not the building.....so says my husband just now. But that's just crazy. Our Lutheran pastor who married us, his wife is also a pastor. Maybe your FIL generation is just old fashioned in their thinking. He should be happy you are a woman trying to better yourself and others in God's word.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:45 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• As women and as men we have special callings...and I do not believe holding the priesthood is one of them that women are intended to hold.
    Anonymous

• My church does not have females in the minster type of role, as in the leader over the entire congregation. But we do have female leaders within the church who are over the youth groups. I think that if you want to be a female minister, then it should be your choice, not your FIL's. I think it's better to have a pretty good knowledge of the Bible to be a minister, but I don't feel that a person should have to completely know the Bible inside and out in order to be one. I feel like it's more important for someone in the minister role to have good leadership and people skills that it is for them to be a perfect scriptorian. But that's just me.
    Anonymous

• If you want to do it, go for it.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:49 PM on Jun. 4, 2010