What would you do for your computing needs? Laptop/desktop/netbook/combo?

Both my husband and I are going back to school this fall (what better way to make use of unemployment right?) and we're considering our computing options.

He will be going for architecture, I will be going for anthropology/social work. I know he will need a more powerful computer than I will and that we currently have.

We have an aging laptop and a frankenstein desktop (built from bits and pieces of other computers).

We're trying to decide what option makes the most sense.
- We each get a laptop, mine a basic one, his a higher end one capable of running the programs he'll need.
-Buy a new more powerful desktop and an average laptop/netbook for portability
-Some other option I haven't considered yet.

Do you even really NEED a laptop in college? Are students really typing away in class rather than good old fashioned pen and paper?

Thanks for your input!

Xynyth

Asked by Xynyth at 9:47 PM on Jun. 4, 2010 in

• My husband and I both go to school. We have 2 older laptops and 2 brand new desktops. We no longer use our laptops for school anymore, however, when I did, it was a pain to carry around the campus plus have my backpack. I would highly suggest getting a netbook to use in class and at least one desktop computer. The netbook will be small enough to carry around but still be able to do what you need to do. My professor told us that the people who make the best grades are the ones who type their notes in class.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:39 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• If you can get everything he needs for his course on a laptop then I say go for two laptops. That way you each have portable computers that have all of your notes and information in them and you can get rid of the desktop that just takes up space.

Most people can type faster than they can write so the majority of people in university(who can afford to get one) use a laptop.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 9:52 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• My husband said he could type faster than he could write, so he decided to go with a laptop. If we had the money (since we both are going to school) I'd get myself a laptop as well....with a mouse. Since i'm going to school online we have the desktop we originally had and then like I said he has his laptop...as he attends classes at the college.
    I think our set up works for us...
    If you do get a laptop i'd recommend getting a memory stick for each of you that way you can save stuff and basically take it with you wherever you go for printing or whatever.
    Happy education! xo
    Anonymous

• Thanks! I'm actually kind of surprised that students would be typing away in class. It's been a long time since I was in school, can you tell, ha ha! Memory stick is a good idea, thanks for that! A couple of my classes I've signed up for will be blended classes (lecture and internet) but I had intended on taking some classes solely online.

Thanks for the input ladies!
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 10:04 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I got a laptop for going back to school. I'm getting my degree in Criminal Justice. I love having the portability. I never really used it IN class, but this way, at home, if I need to do work on it, I can take it where ever I need it. Heck, it goes into the bathroom with me at times! For your husband, a good, stable, high power desktop would probably be best.
    Anonymous

• Oh, and another tip for computer work: Save your work in THREE different places. Save it to your hard drive, to a memory stick and also email it to yourself. That way, if your computer crashes, you'll have it on a memory stick, and if the memory stick fails, you can always access your email from somewhere else!
    Anonymous

• Great tips Anon! Thank you!
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 11:22 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• A laptop with a wireless card.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:48 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Get a laptop with satelite wireless. (A built in wireless card). You can then use the laptop at school. Some classrooms even have outlets on the desks/tables to plug in laptops. Also, invest in a couple jump drives so you can save your homework to the jump drive and print it at school. I do that and email the assigment to myself so I can print it at school and use their ink and paper.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:43 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• You ladies are awesome. I really appreciate all the tips. I had a bright moment today where I realized we could share certain books :p Look, I'm getting smarter already!
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 10:09 PM on Jun. 5, 2010