Have you ever considered becoming a Host Family for a foreign exchange student?

Years ago, I was a Host Family to two teenagers from Japan. It was a marvelous opportunity to gain both insight and appreciation for a different culture. My kids and I loved having them with us and have many warm, loving memories from the experience. Sometimes it's just nice to be nice!

Ewadun

Asked by Ewadun at 10:35 PM on Jun. 4, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I have always loved hosting exchange students, both while I was growing up and even now! I love learning about foreign cultures and languages, and teaching others about my own.

Having spent four months in a foreign country with a host family, I know what kind of experience to offer.

Exchange students tend to be fairly outgoing, friendly, curious people who are grateful for the experience you provide.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 2:36 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I was and it was the best experience for us and our DS. I would do it again in a second.
    voni681

Answer by voni681 at 5:45 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I havent, but we had a exchange student from Australia and he was awesome. We were so happy to have him..
    Anonymous

• I definitely want to some day when I'm a little older and have a bigger place. I lived in the Dominican Republic for a semester in college and my host family was HORRIBLE! I want to host a student so I can give them the awesome experience I never got!
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 11:32 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I remember having one at our school, really cool guy.. He came in a shy foreigner with bad clothes on & by the time he left he had amazing style but who knows what else he took home with him since he also became a huge partier, into drinking, drugs & slept with as many girls he could..
    I dont think his host family knew 1/2 of what he did.. They were a really big christian family that i know of.. I think they had a son around the ES age, but I dont remember him ever, at all... Like they never hung out!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:38 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• We hosted exchange students, room and board, and made 700 a month doing it.
    It's fun to share with someone who isn't familiar with all that is old hat to us.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Wow! I'd never considered doing it for money. As I mentioned earlier, sometimes it's just nice to be nice. Are we all so captivated by profit? What you lack tangibly, you gain intangibly. Most opportunities are strictly voluntary, and the kids come prepared with their own insurance and allowance. I provide room and 2 meals. I've never been one to begrude a kid food! LOL
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 1:20 AM on Jun. 5, 2010