My eye Dr. told me I may have early signs of glaucoma...

I'm 31. My father does have it but... Anyone know anyone who has it? Good news is he said if it's caught early it can be controlled easily with eye drops.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:57 PM on Jun. 4, 2010 in Health

• yeah about 2 years ago i had eye x rays done at the eye doctor and they told me i had engorged nerves which put me at high risk for glaucoma. you probably haven't developed it yet but because you are at risk they will test you once a year and if it begins to form you will be fine because it is well controlled with eye drops
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 11:05 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I don't have it - yet!  But I'm at high risk of getting it since it runs in my father's family.  It is controlled with eye drops but you have to use them every day.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:49 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I had it in one eye. Not to scare you, but it can be very serious if it's not controlled. My case was different than the usual, it was not diagnosed early at all and I only had it in one eye. My was not controlled by the eye drops. My opthamologist who specialized in glaucoma and I tried several different eye drops, combinations of drops. We did laser treatments with the drops. Nothing worked for me, nothing was as effective as it should have been and there was no clear reason why. In the end I ended up blind in that eye, and because it wasn't controlled I had pain in the eye, so I had it removed and now have a prosthetic. My Dr wasn't as aggresive with some treatments as she could have been because my case was so progressed when it was diagnosed, so my story really is the worst case scenario. The eye drops generally do control the pressure, there are also oral meds, as well as the laser treatments and ... con't
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:34 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• laser treatments and surgical options like a shunt to help with drainage or to correct the drainage.

So now that I've terrified you, it really isn't that bad if it's caught early and responds well to treatments. My case was also complicated by a thinning of the white part of the eye (which was apparently not related to the glaucoma, just complicated it). Keep a close watch on your pressure and good luck.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:37 AM on Jun. 5, 2010