Does anyone else have a clumsy kid?

My 4 year old daughter is a klutz, through and through. If there is any possible way to get hurt she will find it though she is tough and I joke that she doesn't feel pain like a normal human. One day she was rolling down the hill with her sister and somehow did a back flip over the little 1 foot rock wall and got a good gash on the back of her head - I had never seen so much blood in my life but she immediately wanted to go back to playing. She had a little bump and never complained even when I was cleaning the gash and she thought it was cool when she saw all the blood on the towel. There's times where she'll sit down with my brothers and they'll compare scars. I can't count how many times she's walked into walls or bumped her head. While wrestling with her 5 year old sister her face collided with her sister's forehead. She split open her lip and my 5 year old's head went into the wall leaving her with a bump.....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:57 PM on Jun. 4, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I'm a little concerned because she starts pre-school in September and I remember when my cousin's son started preschool they were constantly calling child services for every little scratch he had. He got scratched by the cat and it was obviously a cat scratch but for some reason he told them his mom did it and they called child services on her. So I'm just a little worried about her clumsiness and such that I'm going to end up being on a first name basis with child services this coming school year.
    Anonymous

• my dd isnt that bad, but she has knocked over atleast 6 cups today, fallen down atleast a dozen times, and walked into 3 different objects.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:01 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• YES! My middle child sounds just like you... I cannot even count how many times the school has called me to tell me she got hurt (their policy is that if it requires an ice pack or a band aid, they call the parents.) So far this year they have called because she tripped (too many times to count), she walked into a door and split her lip (once), she skinned her knees/elbows/chin (at least a couple times) and she ran into a fence (twice. The same fence- two separate occasions!) The other day we went to the zoo and in less than ten minutes managed to trip, fall, and gash her knee badly enough that she was all bloody from knee to toes. When we go into town for ice cream near our cottage, we sit and eat our cones on a bench outside the shop. She has fallen from a sitting position off this bench for the past three years! There is nothing wrong with the bench- no one else falls off! If there is a way to trip, she finds it...
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:03 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I've never had anyone call Children's Services on me (it probably helps that at least half of these incidents took place at school, which makes it clear that I'm not the one causing it!) The only time I felt even remotely like I might be reported was when I had to take my son to the ER because he fell off the top bunk and broke his arm- the doctors quizzed him on what happened and ended up saying that the injury was consistant with the explanation that he gave for what had happened. I guess if the explanation did not match the injury a call would have gone out. But otherwise, no issues there.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:06 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Yep, my 3rd is a horrible klutz, just like I was as a kid. Her preschool teacher never said anything, as she has a rough & tumble kid of her own. I take my DD to the chiropractor regularly, and that really helps - she adjusts DD's toes, ears, and all the normal stuff.
    Anonymous

• oh yeah my four year old is so clusmy. I worry for her safety. She runs into things and trips on any surface. I never thought a four year could get hurt so much. I swear the other day she run right into our glass screen door I don;t know hwo she forgot it was closed because she was the one who closed it.
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 11:32 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• My middle daughter is the biggest klutz ever. She's 7 1/2 now and still constantly walks into everything...walls, door frames, chairs, tables, etc. She falls off of every chair she sits in. She regularly falls off the couch just sitting there, lol. And at least once a day she either slips down the stairs or trips going up them. Luckily she has never seriously injured herself, mostly just bumps and bruises.
    Last summer she got on the swing at a park and immediately fell off of it backwards. I didn't see this. She came and told me and I asked if she was okay and she said yes and all I could do was laugh. Only she could fall off the swing in .8 seconds, lol.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:16 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• My DS is a klutz, he has hit his head on the wall in his room while sleeping and put a dent in the wall and never woke up. He fell off of a top bunk at camp in his sleep and didn't wake up. He fell down our basement stairs and landed on his head and didn't even cry ( I did take him to the ER for this one though and he had a concussion) He has bumps, bruises, and scraps all the time. His teacher's never said a word about it, his preschool teacher did ask us if we had mentioned it to his Dr and yes I have several times, they say he will out grow it. He will run into walls or trees when he is outside because he never watches where he is going!
    niehoff9

Answer by niehoff9 at 10:39 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• My oldest doesn't feel pain like a normal person... and boy is he a klutz!!! How can a child (who is going down, feet first "coffin style") fall off of a slide and break their collar bone?? He did! And he didnt cry... I only took him for xrays bc he refused to move his arm. He didnt say it hurt, just wouldnt move it past a certain point.

This is also the same child that (the day before he was to go back to school from spring break) jumped into the pool at the same time as another boy - they both went back to school with matching shiners! Fortunately, the school knows him, how much of a klutz he is, so they understood!
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 12:34 PM on Jun. 5, 2010