Did your mom tell other family members when you got your first period?

My mom told my gramma! How embarrassing! When I saw my gramma later that day, she said, "I heard something wonderful has happened to you!!!" I wanted to die right then and there!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:45 PM on Jun. 4, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Yes, she told everyone... My gram, my pap, my dad & his GF, even her BF and his son... She was " so proud" like it was something special or something...

And then she wonders why my sister didn't tell her for almost a year after she got hers!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:53 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• No. That's private.
    Anonymous

• OMG Don't tell me that. I just told my MIL about my daughter! (I asked her first, told her Grandma would want to know....but swore her to secrecy.)
    Anonymous

• oh yeah. My whole family knew by the next day. I don't know why we get so excited when a girl gets her first period when it the worse time of the month
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 11:47 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• No I never even told my mom. I had sisters, and I knew the drill. My little sister told my mom when she got her's and mom called everybody!
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 11:48 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• no but i didn't tell her - i had an older sister and knew where the "feminine hygiene products" were kept - i didn't really see a need to announce it lol
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 11:49 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• OP

Well I HAD to tell my mom...I was the oldest child and I didn't know where my mom kept her pads...she took me to KMart and bought me some. Back in the 80's, they came in a HUGE box. LOL
    Anonymous

• I don't know if my mom told anyone, but it wouldn't surprise me if she did. I remember when she told everyone about my older sister getting hers. I was embarrassed and it wasn't even me! lol Talking about such things were super taboo in our family both before and after that so it was extremely embarrassing when anyone talked about it or when a tampon commercial came on. My mom never told me anything about periods except that my sister had gotten hers. Everything I learned about it was learned from friends and cousins and some of it was false. My girls are still pretty young, but I plan to talk openly with them about it and help them understand that it's not something to be embarrassed about.
    Anonymous

• no, but i dont even remember it being a big deal. even if she had, i dont think i would have cared. and my family would never make a big deal out of it even if they knew.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 12:00 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• yep mom announced it. not only to dad but to all the daycare parents(my mom is an in home daycare provider). I about died
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Jun. 5, 2010