i've heard quite a few people say that they feel bad for JW kids, why is that. whenever i see my neighbors kids (they're JW), they look happy and always playing.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Jun. 5, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm guessing because JW's don't do Christmas and birthdays.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• lol my husband was saying earlier he felt sorry for JWs - they're missing out on so much, etc. I said well they probably feel the same way about you (he's an atheist) thinking you're missing out on the good news and that you don't understand true happiness. i personally feel sorrier for the catholic and lutheran children lol.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 12:16 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• I grew up JW, and I can tell you I am the first to defend their beliefs, but I always feel for the kids. As a JW child you are isolated, no outside friends, no holidays, no birthdays, no parties (unless they are with other JWs), EXTRA attention to your cloths, movies, tv and games than normal (My aunt wasn't allowed to watch Smurfs because they were "demonic")... the list goes on... Sure they get to play outside, and SOME JW parents will even let their kids have friends outside of the Church, but it's looked down on... The point of JW is to cut yourself off from the outside world while still living in it... And for a child that's really a hard thing to do!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:18 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• To be honest though, they aren't the ones I feel sorriest for... I think that title would go to Evangelical or those kids being raised in the "religious compounds" somewhere out in the desert - even if they aren't in one of the dangerous ones... I look at it this way, anyone who cuts their kids off from reality isn't helping their kids, religious reasons or not. And I always feel for those kids that have to be cut off for whatever reason... it's just not a nice way to grow up!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:21 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• At school I feel badly for children that do not hold the beliefs of their JW parents and feel sad or left out of parties. There is a group that has to go to the gym and play during class parties. Even though there are 5 of them and they have each other, they are still bummed out. A 6th grader complains that she does not believe parties are against God's will but her parents do so she can not participate. The parents say they are making a statement by leaving their kids at school during parties and having an alternate activity-I think they are just making their kids sad....
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 12:21 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• we dont celebrate the holidays or birthdays but, my kids get gifts throughout the year, wrapped up and everything. We go on vacation a couple of times a year and then weekend getaways. I know that it can be difficult, but i look at the end result. When judgement time comes, I want to know that we did the best we could to follow in Jesus' footsteps. As long as my kids are healthy, happy and sane, I think they'll be ok. Plus, they are loved sooooo much.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• figaro8895 Why do you feel bad for Catholic kids? Explain your thought process to the rest of us please?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• We as JW's are not against parties, it's the type of parties that we are careful of. a couple times a year we'll have like tea parties for the little girls or some other theme thing. We do party and get down, just clean and nothing to do with a pagan origin. we do have friends outside of our religion. My best friend is catholic, we love each other dearly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• I don't know much about the JW. I do know that they used to knock on our doors in an all white neighborhood and we didn't answer the door. Mainly because they were too pushy and didn't take no for an answer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• I also want to add that I feel for them as adults. When I was a kid there were 9 of us in my kingdom hall (kids) and we were all dealing with the same thing - many of us to the point of abuse. I have kept in touch with some of these people as adults and NONE of them have a good relationship with their parents - Only 2 are still JWs. One of these kids was the daughter of my "Aunt" who died last year. The hate for her in that side of the family went so far that when she showed to the funeral (her own mothers funeral) she was told that she wasn't welcome... They told her she chose her path and it didn't include her mother in life so it wouldn't include her now... I didn't even attempt to go. But it breaks my heart to know how many of these kids grow up and are then shunned when they choose a different path... Which after all those years of being unhappy, it inevitable!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:30 AM on Jun. 5, 2010