Should I choose the hospital or the Midwife/OB first?

The town I will deliver our child in has two hospitals but no birthing centers within an hour of us. I liked them both but I like one significantly more because there rooms are set up like birthing center rooms and they encourage mother’s to use “alternative methods” for comfort during pain and to have minimal monitoring to keep the mother moving during labor which lines up with EVERYTHING I’m wanting. I want to have as natural and free moving of a labor and birth as possible.

The problem is that there aren’t any midwifes that deliver at the hospital I would prefer to use. There are two midwives that deliver at the other hospital. I REALLY prefer to have a midwife.

What would you do in this case? Would you pick the hospital first and have to deal with having an OBGYN deliver you or would you pick the midwife and deal with the lesser hospital?

Which one are you supposed to choose first?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on Jun. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Have you seen The Business of Being Born before? If you have netflix you can watch it on instant watch right now. I would find a midwife that does home births!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• But if that's not an option I'd choose the midwife 1st anon :22
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• I chose my MW first b/c I wanted someone I was more comfortable with throughout my pregnancy and delivery. However, just because a MW PREFERS one hospital doesn't mean they won't deliver at another. They usually just have more privileges at one. I think it depends what you like about one hospital over the other. Atmosphere? Staff? Technology? I was lucky... the hospital I wanted to deliver at is the one my MW preferred.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 12:24 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• I have seen the BOBB. I am high risk for bleeding out due to a bleeding disorder so home birth is not a good option for me. I wish it was.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• I think I would choose the hospital you like. You already know they support natural birth, whereas not all midwives do, unfortunately. A lot of hospital midwives are "medwives" and aren't really like the kind of midwives we love who are supportive and natural. Then again, I guess it's not good to assume that without at least maybe interviewing with them and getting a feel for them? I just think if you get a doc who supports natural birth, you can't go wrong. If you get a midwife who supports natural birth, you still might get a doc who doesn't. I wonder what the nurses are like in the natural-friendly hospital? Maybe they'd be the kind of support you're looking for?

(I was seeing a HB MW and ended up at a hospital due to complications. So in my experience, I never got to use a midwife but was so thankful my doc gave me the freedom to birth naturally, for the most part.) Good luck!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:40 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• I picked my midwife. I figure, if I like her and her philosophies and methods, the hospital will follow her style. SHE was far more important to me than the hospital.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• I chose my hospital first...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 12:55 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• My opinion is in line with Adeliscious
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 1:39 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Well, it really depends on the policies of the hospital. Most hospitals just give you whoever is on call during delivery, and with that in mind, I would DEFINITELY choose the hospital first. The policies, the nurses, and the birth culture are going to impact your delivery way more then choosing one person, especially a CNM. In the view of the doctor, a CNM is simply a nurse, and is still under the direction of the OB over her.
    squish

Answer by squish at 1:57 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Maybe you could look for a laymidwife who would attend your hospital birth? Search online for midwives in your area and email and ask if they will attend your birth. OR/AND get a doula to attend your birth at the hospital you like and have a strict birth plan keeping unnecessary personnel out unless you want them there. Um, also, meet the OBs for the hospital you like and see if they are personally in-line with your birth ideas.

Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 2:52 AM on Jun. 5, 2010