Christians

What do you think of Yoga? Do you think it is ok for a Christian to do yoga?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:37 AM on Jun. 5, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• yup
    LavenderRose10

Answer by LavenderRose10 at 2:40 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• No and mainly because of the spiritual connotation

also the term yoga comes from a Sanskrit word which means yoke or union. Traditionally, yoga is a method joining the individual self with the Divine, Universal Spirit, or Cosmic Consciousness. Physical and mental exercises are designed to help achieve this goal, also called self-transcendence or enlightenment.

So for me if it's not God's spirit then I don't want to open myself up to it...

lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 6:46 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Yes, it's okay for anyone to do it. It's good exercise and there is nothing wrong with deep breathing and meditation.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:50 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• I think it is very healthy and I do yoga. Christian or not there is nothing wrong with it.
    WonderWoman1979

Answer by WonderWoman1979 at 8:21 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• yes---it is very healthy and relaxing.
    Anonymous

• yes. unless you feel convicted not to do it. my DH and i did some beginners yoga last night and it had nothing to do w/ spirituality at all. it was to stretch our muscles and to relax after a long day. our focus was simply on our breathing and muscles, not a Universal Being or anything like that. imo, not everything has to have the function or meaning of its origins.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:06 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• google christian yoga.us
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 1:54 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• lisarose - it only has a spiritual connotation if you want it to.

I do it solely for the exercise.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 2:17 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• I think yoga's fine! :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:34 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Many Eastern PHILOSOPHIES are adopted by the West and are used for just that, Philosophies NOT as a religion. I believe Yoga is ok. I can't seem to do it but if I could contort my body in those positions I'd do it!
    Anonymous