I'm about to be the next victim of an unnecessary c-section!! What should I do?

So I'm 37.5 weeks newly diagnosed with GD and went to the perinologist to see how the baby's doing. They did an ultrasound and "estimated" my baby already weighs 8lbs13oz so they want to deliver soon. They told me I had NO CHOICE but to come in Monday for anino and if the lungs are mature, they will do a c-section Tuesday. Isn't that a load of bull? This is my 4th baby and I've delivered all of them vaginally. Including a son weighing in at 9lbs1oz. I've never had GD before and they even said my blood levels have been normal since the one that caused me to be diagnosed. My regular OB checked me earlier this week and said baby was head down deep in pelvis, I was dilated 1cm and 50% effaced. Why in the hell is this stupid other doctor forcing me into a c-section and my regular OB is just going along with it? She delivered my last baby. I only pushed twice. Wouldn't she want to do that again rather than cut into me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:55 AM on Jun. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I would call your ob and let her know what the other doc said and see what she says. I had GD with my last had one doc who wanted a c-section and one who said your doing good all my levels where fine, well I listened to the one who said your doing good but he did want to enduce just for I would be at the hospital there is a lot that could happen, I agreed to get enduced only because he let me know the health risk to me and the baby a controlled setting is better then it being uncontrolled and with gd you tend to have bigger babbies. they did my ultra sound before enducing told me my ds would be bout 6-7pounds spent 24 hours in labor 20 of them in hard hard labor felt my ds every movement contrations 1 min apart for 6 hrs still wasnt dilated enough so emergency c-section was done 8lbs 15oz due to gd. Im still glad i didnt let the 1st dr bully me into a c-section but I am also glad I had a more controlled situation
    wyattgrace

Answer by wyattgrace at 8:13 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• you can conveniently forget to go to the appt... what can they do, really?
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 8:04 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• They can't force you to have a c-section if you don't want one. You're the patient, it's your right to refuse.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:13 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Tell them no and don't show up. They are not going to drive to your house and drag you out. You are in control of your life, not them.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:25 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• I don't see why at 37.5 weeks they would do an amnio anyway. 37 weeks is considered full-term. The lungs are fine. I hate how Doctors are so pushy these days. You know your body and you know you can give birth vaginally. I would just wait it out. Their "estimate" of your baby's size is just that, an estimate. They estimated my oldest son being 9 pounds and induced me at 37 weeks. He came out 7lbs 5.5 oz. I ended up with a c-section because my labor stalled 5 hours into it and my Doctor was an impatient SOB and had Christmas plans. I was naive and didn't know any better and trusted my Doctor. I haven't seen him since...and have gone on to have 2 VBACs.

Talk to your regular OB. They would know better then the other Doctor what you should do. Good luck and Congrats on the new baby!
    boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 8:27 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Stand up for yourself and trust your body. Tell them no, you'll see them when the baby is ready. :-)
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 8:38 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• You do not have to do anything you aren't comfortable doing, and I think that you just stand up to both doctors and tell them how your feeling about this. Make them do another blood draw to compare with the last one they did since all your others were normal. I know that has to be hard since you've delivered 3 other healthy children vaginally. But you should also keep in mind that every pregnancy is different, and they MAY actually be doing this for your best interest. But if your gut tells you this is not necessary then take a stand against it. Good luck girl
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 8:43 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Honey - NO ONE can force you to get up, walk out of your house and walk into that hospital. If there are no medical reasons why you HAVE to have a c-section then you don't have to have one. Baby come when they decide to - and this is as absurd as a doctor telling someone to keep the baby in longer because it needs to gain more weight. Ewwww this kind of this pisses me off at doctors. You tell em to buggar off - you can deliver this baby when this baby and the good lord decides it's time.
    ItsNotSoBad

Answer by ItsNotSoBad at 8:55 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• I say to talk to your regular doc and go from there... Goo luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Don't let them bully you!!! Just don't go to the appointment and tell them to kiss your pregnant behind. 37 weeks is certainly full term and an amnio is dangerous! Good luck Mama, I'm wishing the best for you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Jun. 5, 2010