Any GOOD Parenting books?

I need to read some good parenting books anybody know of any that they can recommend?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:19 AM on Jun. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• Oh there is this great book, its been around for a while actually. Its called the Bible. You should pick up a copy if you dont have one already! :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:49 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• my mom gave me some good books when i had my daughter - one was called saving ophelia but specifically addresses the needs of girls in today's world. i loved the mother's almanac i got from my grandma - very down to earth, real advice. there was one other really useful book - the name escapes me - it was about what is important to children and how it influences them, with tips for how to teach your children things early on that help them avoid peer pressure, etc. if i get some time later, i'll go check my library and get back to you. (i'd do it now, except we are in the process of rearranging and there are boxes in front of my shelves)
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 9:22 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• You don't need a book. Just use common sense and respect. However, with that said I will admit Reviving Ophelia is an excellent book for moms who have adolescents.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• "Good" is a rather relative term. It depends on what your parenting style is or what you want it to be, and what kind of relationship you want to have with your children. What one person thinks is the greatets parenting book ever, another will think is absolute trash because the book doesn't reflect THEIR style of parenting. I am not a strict/authoritarian parent and don't wish to be. Keeping that in mind, here are some of my favorite parenting books over the years: Naomi Aldort's "Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves", "How to Talk So Kids Will Listen, and Listen So Kids Will Talk", by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish, "Kids, Parents, and Power Struggles" by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka, "Unconditional Parenting" by Alfie Kohn, "Easy to Love, Difficult to Discipline" by Becky A. Bailey, "Mindful Parenting" by John and Myla Kabat-Zinn, and "How to Really Love Your Children" by Ross Campbell.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 10:08 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• I try to be a mixture of strict and understanding that they are just children so I liked Love and Logic, don't know who wrote it, it has a CM group and my husband liked To Train up a Child, don't know who it is by though.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:24 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• "How to Talk So Kids Will Listen, and Listen So Kids Will Talk", by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish <<< LOVED this book.
    inkydorei

Answer by inkydorei at 10:40 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• "Baby and Child Care" by Dr Benjamin Spock. (No, its not the Mr Spock from Star Trek....LOL )
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 1:58 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves by Naomi Aldort

Touchpoints by T. Berry Brazelton

Your Baby and Child by Penelope Leach

Answer by rkoloms at 4:30 PM on Jun. 5, 2010