Digital Camera for beginner?

My DD's 9th birthday is next month. She is really into photography and wants her own camera. What would be a good low priced digital camera for a beginner?

CandyceG

Asked by CandyceG at 8:27 AM on Jun. 5, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• We gave our 11 yo daughter a Canon PC1354 for Christmas 2009. It's easy to use and takes great pictures.
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 11:49 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• I just got a Nikon CoolPix S3000. It's very simple to use and takes great pictures. Plus it's on sale at Best Buy. ;)
    jltplk25

Answer by jltplk25 at 3:37 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I'd get her an inexpensive used camera on eBay. She does not need a 14-megapixel model! Just a few years ago, the best digital cameras captured only 2 megapixels -- and they took great pictures. The only reason you would need more megapixels than that is if you plan to print out 8x10 enlargements (or larger) of your photos. And really, how many of us do that?

And the newer cameras, with their 14-megapixel images, will fill up your computer's hard drive really fast if you take a lot of pictures. Then you have to get more hard drive capacity (by plugging an external hard drive into your computer). Who needs that hassle and expense?
    jenUCLA

Answer by jenUCLA at 8:41 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I agree with the NIkon Coolpix. I just say it on sale at Best Buy for $129. It is the one I have and I love it. I have dropped that thing 3 times and it still works!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:44 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• I would get her the cheapest canon since they take great pictures and last quite a long time! also I would look into getting her an external hard drive for christmas too so she can store all her photos without clogging up your computer for too long. :)
    mlmartinez

Answer by mlmartinez at 8:52 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Thanks everyone! These are all great suggestions!
    CandyceG

Answer by CandyceG at 5:31 PM on Jun. 8, 2010