daisey dukes??????

yesterday i went to my 11 yrold dd science fair...i was a little taken back... all the girls were wearing booty shorts and tight tank tops ............is this the style?how do you feel about this ???i mean ALL the girls.. fat skinney what ever...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on Jun. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• sounds like a great place for pedophiles. does it really make a difference what weight a girl is? the positive thing i can take from this as well as a dance team show i went to for my daughter's friend a few years ago is that heavier girls aren't being left out of trends and activities formerly reserved for the cute skinny girls. shorts are, well, short... tank tops are sleeveless shirts. unless there were boobs or butt cheeks flying, perhaps it's the early development thanks to the steroids in our food you find shocking.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 9:18 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• I'd talk to my dd about it. Get her opinion about what you saw. I'd then talk to her about self respect, self esteem and what boys think of girls that dress like that. If girls devalue themselves in that attire then the boys will do it too. It's a shame that so many moms let their dd's find their value through seductive and suggestive clothing and not their personality and brain. It's a science fair for goodness sakes. There has to be smart girls there somewhere! Now to find some that have confidence in who they are and what they know not what they can show to get attention.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• op----yikes figaro8895----just needed an opinion yes there were boobs flying and ass sticking out... i didnt mean anything by heavy girls.... i have my middle dd that is a very beautiful over weight dd....hmmmmmmmmmmm?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• I agree with you to an extent but it's summer time and it's hot out. As long as their cheeks weren't hanging out . But hey ya can't hide curves if you have them. 11 or 21.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• What other parents let their kids wear really makes little difference to me. I have standards for what I let my almost 9 year old daughter wear and they will not change. She goes to a camp in the summer where her shorts have to be at least down to her fingertips and shirts have to have straps that are at least two fingertip widths wide - the shirts aren't that big a problem, but shorts that long are sometimes really hard to find in her size! (Fortunately this year, the "Bermuda" length shorts are popular and I've been able to find them!)

Answer by missanc at 9:35 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• well then there you have it. sounds like there are a whole lot of people who don't care enough to make sure their children dress appropriately or understand it's important for girls especially to have self esteem based on something other than sexuality. unfortunately, i'm not shocked. especially when i glean what is important to many moms when reading these boards... hopefully you can stay strong and help your daughter continue to be an example of something to strive for.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 10:01 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• I'm quite sure you are exaggerating just a little bit about these shorts. I have a 10 yr old daughter that shops at Justice and the shorts are short, but they are not Daisy Duke short. Everywhere we shop, they have short shorts, but nowhere near what you are describing. If this is indeed true, I would really be curious as to where these little girls are finding such shorts.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• wow ummm are you 60. they're cloths and it get's hot out. there is nothing wrong with short shorts and tank tops, unless there is fat hanging out of them because that's nasty. and a place for pedophiles?? newsflash, like rapists, pedophiles aren't looking at the cloths, they look for vulnerability to prey on genius
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Our schools have dress codes that are to be followed on campus at all times. No shorts shorter than fingertip length or no shorter than mid thigh. No daisy dukes or sophies. No tanktops so be worn without an over shirt period. No bra straps to be shown. No underwear to be seen. No baggie shorts or jeans or long shirts as weapons can be concealed in them. No hats or head coverings of any kind etc.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:57 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• I think that some high school kids who are fit (not fat) can get away with it and not look slutty.
    Anyone under high school, or over high school or too curvey (in a fat way or just that they have a womans body) looks slutty.

Yes it is the style.... but VERY FEW can pull it off with out looking slutty.
    Anonymous