To the person who posted this answer to the JW question...

"lol my husband was saying earlier he felt sorry for JWs - they're missing out on so much, etc. I said well they probably feel the same way about you (he's an atheist) thinking you're missing out on the good news and that you don't understand true happiness. i personally feel sorrier for the catholic and lutheran children lol."

Why do you feel sorry for Catholic and Luthern children? Can you explain the reasoning behind that answer?? I think maybe you know something that we don't? Clear that up for us.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Jun. 5, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• i didn't post anonymously. i think you're taking this all waaaay too seriously. i think it's pretty hilarious that people think JW kids are missing out on something because they don't participate in holidays or birthdays - especially when i see questions posted about people who send invitations with demands for money for the birthday boy to get his new wii. you did see the "lol" on here, right? that was an indication of a lighthearted comment. when i was young, my catholic friends missed out on lots of fun times because they were busy in catechism classes and the girls had to dress up as little jesus brides - personally i think that it was a bit young for such a serious commitment. i won't mention the abuses that happen with the boys. my family is lutheran - that is a completely depressing church. last time i went for easter with my aunt the whole thing was about death and gore. that's so great for kids.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 9:45 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• but really, my real feelings are that everyone has the right to their own choices in religion and to raise their children according to their beliefs. i think that the kids we need to feel sorry for are not the ones who belong to specific religions but whose parents teach them to be intolerant, children whose individuality and choices are not encouraged by their parents, children who are not taught how to learn and make decisions for themselves, children who are abused, children who are forced to grow up too fast, children whose parents think are little versions of themselves, etc. everyone practices their own religion differently. there are some religious beliefs that are intrinsically harmful to children. alternative celebrations as are practiced in JW are not included. i am far from JW but i don't participate in holidays - all days are special and i gave my daughter presents and parties for "no" reason at all.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 9:49 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Wow. I did see the lol but I am Catholic and NEVER have we had to dress up like anything! The only thing we did was put on a play at school of the Nativity during Christmas time. But we enjoyed it. I don't even know what catechism classes are??!! I wasn't raised that way at all. I went to Catholic school my whole life. I am proud to say Catholic religion preaches to save sex and children for marriage rather than sleeping around and having 3 or more baby's daddys. That is sad that your friends had to do that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• I am Lutheran and so is my entire family. And I can tell you I havent missed out on anything. Yes, I went to catechism classes but not as a child, but when I was an adult. My DH and I took them together before we got married (he was Mormon) because he believed in more what the Lutheran church taught than the LDS church taught, and we wanted to be married in our church. As a child I went to sunday school and church but really that was about it.
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 11:28 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Then you are not a true Roman Catholic! YOu see..how can it be split? I had to go through the whole 1st communion and dress up in what reminded me of a bride and it cost my parents lots of money then as a teen we had to do confirmation. Confirmation of what? What could a teen possibly know about confirming their faith?
    WonderWoman1979

Answer by WonderWoman1979 at 10:38 AM on Jun. 6, 2010

• LOL your parents HAD to spend that money? LOL there is a choice silly
    Anonymous

• nope...they didn't think there was a choice which I find silly as well and why I am not catholic lol. They keep pushing me to get my daughtert to do it and I am like nope...she can make that choice on her own
    WonderWoman1979

Answer by WonderWoman1979 at 1:08 PM on Jun. 6, 2010

• Wonder woman I made all of my sacraments. But nothing was forced on me. I had a great childhood and still have a very comfortable life as an adult. My daughter was Christened and when she is old enough to decide which religion to choose, she will be able to do so at her own free will.
    Anonymous

• they say the same about mormons since we can't drink or smoke have sex before marriage have to go on missions etc. those things keep us safe is all i see.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 8:42 PM on Jun. 7, 2010