Do you know what parabens are?

Do you think they are harmful? They are preservatives put into cosmetics. I have heard that they are linked to cancer. As of now I only use paraben free products on my daughter. But it is getting expensive. Is it true?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Jun. 5, 2010 in Health

• oils? never heard of a cancer risk
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Yes, I know what they are, and I don't use products that contain parabens. At low doses, I don't believe that they are HIGHLY carcenogenic or that most people use enough of them to produce a HIGHLY estrogenic effect, but there is enough scientific evidence that they DO have an effect on the human body, even at small doses. It has been proven, for instance, that parabens can and do accumulate in body tissue, so it is possible that there may be a cumulative effect that we don't know about. Also, to my knowledge, the effects of parabens have not been studied in conjuction with other compounds. They may not produce a especially significant effect alone, but when combined with other substances in our cosmetics, body care products, cleaners, etc, their effects may be amplified or they may create new compounds within the body. We really don't KNOW their long term effect, so why use them if it's not necessary?
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 10:57 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Yes, parabens are toxic. You should not have them in your home. You probably don't need to use more than olive oil on your baby's skin.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:26 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Yes. It is my understanding that they wreak havoc on your hormonal system ... disrupt estrogen and such. I don't use any products that contain parabens, petrochemicals, artificial colorings and preservatives, etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Jun. 6, 2010