water wings

I got my 4yo water wings for the pool and they work great and are less bulky than the swim vest but I had to deflate them to get them off and her arms were really red underneath. Is there a special way they are supposed to fit, they were the proper product for her weight.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Jun. 5, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• it sounds like either you blew them up too fulll so they were tight, or she is reacting to the plastic in them. call her doc and ask them to be sure. have fuun!
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:51 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• most are made for children around certain weights so try to get one that is sized to fit her.

As for the redness, it could be from the rubbing if they were two tight. Or she could be having an alergic reaction to the plastic.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:01 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• as a former Ellis lifeguard, for 4 years, i can tell you we never allowed water wings in our waterpark for one simple reason, they are not safe. the only safe flotation device for a child is a properly sized vest stamped Coastguard Approved
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 11:10 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• I would think they may have been blown up too tight - just don't blow them up all the way next time and see if they still give her enough flotation. Even if they were the right size for her weight, all kids arms are different widths. When my kids were learning to swim, I used to blow less and less air in to them so they were getting less and less flotation "help" from them and having to use their muscles more.

Answer by missanc at 11:18 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Water wings are dangerous. Please get your child in a Red Cross swimming program. Your child is certainly old enough to know what to do if he falls into deep water.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:25 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• teach them to SWIM...My kids never uses vest or water wings even my 2 yr old. I want them to know to float they have to swim. My 5 and 6 yr old swim and have since about age 3. They can im prove and still do lessons.
    Anonymous

• I am one mom who plans on never buying them to begin with. They are not really meant to be used for safety. I do see the benefit in that many kids have the confidence to get into the water. It makes them feel safe but the reality is it doesn't help them learn to swim any better or sooner. So I'll save my money for something else.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:07 AM on Jun. 6, 2010