So what's the rush after all?

To stop giving your baby a pacifier? A bottle before bed? To have them potty trained by 2? To stop rocking them before bed? What's the big rush to have kids grow up so fast?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Jun. 5, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I know what you mean, I get where you are coming from, I dont like the rush either...but I also want to help my kids move from stage to stage and grow.

so its a delicate balance I guess.

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:08 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Because your teaching them how to be independent and grow

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 10:56 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• the pacifier thing bothers me. at 1 my dd had hers taken away and we bought her a cool toy as a reward for giving it up. as for the other stuff, i agree, i'm in no hurry for her to grow up. i dont see a point in pushing her to grow up when one day i'm gonna wake up and she will have babies of her own.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 10:58 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• To stop giving your baby a pacifier? >>> it's bad for their teeth and the development of their upper and lower jaw. It's a pain in the butt habit to kick, that I'm still trying to get my DD off of.

A bottle before bed? >>> again, is bad for their teeth. A bottle of water is fine, but think if it this way... it's like giving your kid a bottle first thing in the morning and letting it stew in their mouth all night. (note this is for children at least 18 months of age or older)

To have them potty trained by 2? >>>> you don't have to, but it sure is a money saver, I wish my child was potty trained by two.
    To stop rocking them before bed? >>> most kids just grow out of this stage and into others. My DD doesn't like to rock anymore, she wants a book before bed. (she's 2)
    What's the big rush to have kids grow up so fast?>> there isn't a rush, it's more about the health and development of your child(ren)
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:59 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• I don't mean let them sleep with a bottle! I have never and will never do that! I rock my daughter for about 20 minutes and she has some warm milk. Sometimes from a cup but sometimes from a bottle. I also never propped her bottle either.

OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• op- that is fine, with what you do with the bottle.. so long as afterward to are sure that they brush their teeth when they get over the age of 18 months min.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:06 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• I don't know what the rush is either. Relax. Your kids will be grown up and out and married before you know it and you will wish you hadn't been in such a hurry to push them to grow up. Don't go by some rigid standards. If the kid likes his pacifier, fine. He will lose interest in it before kindergarten. LOL. Just relax. Kids can actually move from stage to stage by themselves. You don't have to hover over them with a guidebook in hand.
    Anonymous

• Um, I'm not in a rush to have my daughter grow up so I guess I am in agreement with you even though I never gave a bottle or a pacifier. DD breastfeeds and sucked her thumb from about 3 months-11 months and then just stopped on her own. I also did EC, which is a method of communicating about potty needs from infancy, so my daughter does potty in the toilet most of the time, but I have never trained her to do anything. I was never in a hurry to stop rocking to sleep but since she sleeps next to us, she hasn't needed it in a while. To each their own pace. I think independence comes as a natural result of security, not being pushed before you are ready.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 12:37 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• My DD still has her paci at night,gave up the bottle on her own at 14 months(I did buy her a cuppie but she picked what she got) she is not fully potty trained yet(she's 2 1/2) she hates being rocked and has for about 1 year. Like someone else said they can transition for themselves. Oh and the paci does nothing to the teeth and jaw. I had mine until I was almost 3 and that was not by anyone's choice I got hurt and had a fat lip and could not use it, and my SO(DDs daddy) had his until he was almost 4. We both have perfect jaws and whatnot. We both have problems with our teeth but mine is because of a stomach problem I had that has finally been resolved and I threw up almost everyday for 3 years(no joke) and it wore away the enamel on my teeth and I have to go to the dentist now every 3 months. My SO was never taught oral hygiene(yeah I know gross)

delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 12:45 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• OH yeah and my DD sleeps with a special blankie every night!

delilahsmom1177