I am having a 3rd baby with a bit older siblings. How did you tell them about breastfeeding, did you hide it, or not worry?

My son will be almost 8 and my dd almost 6 when baby comes.

I talked to my son about breast feeding yesterday and he just laughed...lol. I just told him thats what God created a mommies body to do.

But I am wondering if I should be more discreet about the feeding or just not worry about it at all.

Like cover with a blanket when he's around or what?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Jun. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think this is a perfect time to show him that you SHOULDN'T be ashamed of breastfeeding.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:00 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• if you hide it from them, you are teaching them that it is unnatural, dirty, and shameful. An idea that they'll have pushed on them by everyone else. They should see it as it is, feeding baby. It is nothing that should be hidden. EVER.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:00 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• I would cover up, especially from your son. It isn't shameful or dirty... but you should still be modest in front of him. I will be covering up from my 3 year old when my baby is born in November.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 11:02 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Rutter, by doing so, you are teaching your children that breasts are sexual, even in the context of feeding. That, as far as I am concerned, is sick. It is for feeding. I find it disturbing that you would hide breastfeeding from a child still young enough to be doing so.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:08 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• My kids were 7 (dd), 9 (ds) and 11 (ds) when I had my son in 2008. I didn't hide what I was doing and I explained to them that's how mommies feed their babies, but I did use a light blanket just for modesty's sake.

Answer by missanc at 11:08 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• I like your stance missanc: I dont want to hide it all the way or make him think its gross or weird...but then again as a boy I dont think he should have to see my boob flashed all the time...I like using a light blanket here and there and keeping it semi private, but not hiding it all the way.

OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Breasts ARE sexual... and by exposing boys to them at such a young age is VERY inappropriate. And my 3 year old son is NOT 'young enough' to be doing so! That is sick!!! I am not hiding breastfeeding, I am being modest.

I had SEVERE sexual abuse issues as a child - and I will NOT expose my children to the sexual organs that breasts are at a young age. I didn't even feed him not covered when people would visit my home. People find it very rude and it IS a distraction to men... I would rather NOT be their stumbling block with their wife or with God.

And like missanc - I won't be 'hiding' anything, but will be using a light blanket just for modesty's sake.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 11:13 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• I breastfeed. I have a 7 yr old boy and 5 year old girl. I told them about breastfeeding. At the end, I asked if my son had any questions and he said "Mama? Can I go play, now?" LOL. When my baby came, they thought it was interesting lol. it is better to be upfront. I don't think you should hide something so natural . Teach them that breastfeeding is natural and nothing to be ashamed of.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 11:32 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Rutter, that explains why you feel odd about it. Even still, sorry, I do not agree with your thinking. I hope you have had some counseling. people are TAUGHT breasts are sexual organs when the purpose is to nurture and feed a growing child.

babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 11:34 AM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Breastfeeding is natural. When your older children ask what you are doing, you tell them that you are feeding the baby just like you fed them when they were babies ( I'm assuming you nursed your other children). When I had my youngest son, my oldest was 2 years and 2 months. He asked me what I was doing a couple of times when I was nursing, and I explained that I was feeding the baby just like I fed him when HE was a baby because the baby wasn't old enough to eat food like he did. He was like "okay' and went about his business. Once, the baby started crying and my oldest took my Boppy, put it around his waist,lifted his shirt and said "Mommy, I feed David!" I thought I'd die laughing!! I explained that only Mommy could feed David that way but he could help Daddy give David a bottle of Mommy's milk sometimes.

If you hide, the kids will think there is something wrong or dirty about nursing,they need to see that it's natural.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 12:03 PM on Jun. 5, 2010