What are some mothers thinking?

My daughter is in kindergarten and there's this one girl who who wears them just for her smile to look good. I've known the mother for 2 years and I know she's a little crazy about looks- I actually heard her say she wants her daughter to know that beauty is important or you don't get noticed- but I never realised she made the girl wear flippers. Would you make your kid wear flippers to look good?

pipermomofash

Asked by pipermomofash at 12:26 PM on Jun. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• Hey to each their own. IMO its a great way to raise a shallow, self-absorbed person. But it's not my place to judge. I would never do it.
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 12:28 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• unless there was a reason for it.
    AngeLnChainZ

• yeah, if the dentist said my daughter NEEDS to wear flippers, of course. But I wouldn't make her wear them to look good. She's 5, she looks beautiful and cute with her teeth missing!
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 12:30 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• No i wouldnt want my daughter to wear them.....

But lets be honest, if you had your choice would you want your child to look good or look bad ...meaning it is common sense, when you are pretty you do get noticed .... So it is easy to understand WHY the mother said that.... but it is sad because if a mother is that crazy about it, it will probably do more harm than good.
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 12:32 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Yeah I want my daughter to grow up to be a beautiful woman but I wouldn't say that in frond of her!! I don't want her to think she HAS to be beautiful to please ME.
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 12:35 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• yeah, I would never tell my daughter she was anything but beautiful, and I think she is even cuter with missing teeth and glasses lol... but I am just saying I understand someone thinking that way.
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 12:37 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT MOM BEEN SMOCKING BECOUSE ITS FRYING HER BRAIN ? L.O.L !
    Anonymous

• Ok, wtf is a flipper?? lol
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:45 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Lame on the mom's part. Teaching her daughter that beauty is important at the cost of your comfort, or self-respect? No. My daughter will be taught to love herself FOR WHO SHE IS and all her flaws. Can you imagine how this woman feels first thing in the morning, no makeup on, no primping? This is the kind of woman who gives up her power to be noticed, and those are not the values I want my daughter to have. Girls suffer poor self-esteem enough in this country without making them feel like they HAVE to have products to make them beautiful.

And you know what? I wear minimal makeup, I brush my hair and don't do anything else with it, I wear hand-me-down clothes and I think I look pretty damn good :) Hopefully my daughter will see that modeled and will not feel the way this poor kid is going to feel when she hits her colt's years.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:59 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Yeah WTH is a flipper?
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:59 PM on Jun. 5, 2010