My husband just lost his job !!! PA Questions

We don't know what to do. I mean of course both of us are going to look for jobs.... But we dont know how to go about getting unemployment or any kind of help until we can.

Do we have to call and make an appt. at Job & Family Services ? Do we just go up?

What do you think we would be able to get, support-wise ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:28 PM on Jun. 5, 2010 in Just for Fun

• First things first, go to the unemployment office first thing Monday morning and file with them and then go to Social services and apply for PA, explain to them that hubby just lost your job and you need temp. assistance until you find another job.
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 12:30 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• He should be elligible for unemployment. Look up the phone number for your local area on the Department of Labor website. Usually they do telephone appointments. If he was laid off then he can get it. In the mean time, apply for Medicaid for your family so that you have health coverage. I'm sorry for your situation, it's tough out there for a lot of people and you're not alone. Assistance was made for these types of situations.

Best of luck!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 12:30 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• OP HERE

Also would he still get unemployment if he still has a small job.... like he had a main job which he lost, and then 2-3 days a week 3-4 hours/day ...he teaches adult computer classes..... which is actually only less than $200/month for that
    Anonymous

• Hey, instead of jumping on here going after PA, why don't YOU and YOUR HUSBAND go out there and find a NEW job? Just a thought....

Anonymous

• Like I said WE ARE LOOKING....

PA is for people in OUR position
    Anonymous

• Go to the unemployment office. They can answer all your questions, pertaining to the 2nd small job & whatnot. Then, after that's taken care of, you can make an appointment with whatever your state/county calls where you apply for PA and they can answer all your other questions, pertaining to what you'd qualify for with DH's small job & unemployment. Be upfront about anything and everything, because if you try to hide anything and are found out you'll have to pay it all back!
    Anonymous

• Anon :40 what are they to do before they can find a job? starve? stop being a bitty.
    renniemom3

Answer by renniemom3 at 12:43 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• No, he won't if he has another job. Maybe partial unemployment but it won't be much. Trying to get unemployment is a headache. I think if he just works hard to find another job, one will pop up soon and he won't even need a 2nd job. What type of work does he do? Like what was the job he lost? I am an HR manager and I have never seen people try harder to get unemployment than they do to just try and find a job. The unemployment rate is not as bad as people think. Its just very high b/c people do not want to come off the unemployment b/c they get paid to just sit at home and be lazy. Tell your husband to go to a staffing agency. They are great at placing people in jobs.
    Anonymous

• ANON...she stated that they both are looking for jobs. Jobs are hard to find. Sometimes PA is a temporary solution to a situation like this until they find a job.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 12:44 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• When I was fired from a full time job  in 1994 I went on unemployment.  A few months later  I did find a part-time job and I was still able to collect some unemployment benefits. The 'rules/laws' might have changed since then, I don't know, but at one time you could work and still get some benefits. Good luck, I hope everything works out for you job-wise!!

MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:45 PM on Jun. 5, 2010