my laptop keeps getting very hot then it shuts off does that mean I need a new battery?

Rather it is on my lap or on the table it gets real hot by the fan and it shuts off. Does that mean I need a new battery? Why does it do this. Also it only holds a charge for an hour if that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:30 PM on Jun. 5, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Its overheating and it turns off in order to keep it from frying or catching fire. You need to get a cooling pad and also don't sit it flat on surfaces, it needs to be on a raised vented surface.
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 12:32 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Maybe the battery on your laptop was recalled. Google the brand of laptop and the model# on the battery. I know that a lot of laptop batteries have just been recalled. Also call the 1-800 # of the company who made the laptop. They will also help you. Do not wait to long. These batteries can overheat and set fire.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:33 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• It keeps over heating. You can buy this special fan for laptops that the laptop sits on to cool it off.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 12:35 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• no. it means that the fans on your laptop have blown. same thing happened with mine. you can find a relatively cheap laptop fan to put under it to prevent it from happening
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 12:53 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Yes to what Aliishott2 said. I've had it happen. You can buy a fan or you can get your laptop cleaned and get the fan replaced.
    MamaZoya

Answer by MamaZoya at 3:40 PM on Jun. 5, 2010