She called ME racists.... but I think she has it all backwards... right ?

My daughter and I were shopping yesterday, as we were looking at the DVDs a black woman came up and said " Wow that is some hairdo" to my daughter ... I said thanks, She asked if I was dating a black man or something and I said no and kind of laughed ( thinking she was making a joke or something). Then she says " Are you trying to make some kind of a statement or what" ... I said no, I fix her hair like this because it is hard to fix any other way because she has crazy curls..... she got all huffy and was starting to walk away ( but still said it loud enough) " Tired of all these white b*tches trying to look black. it isnt cute, its racists"

Now this is how my daughters hair was fixed ( except her hair is lighter than the girl in the picture and the back of her hair is curly, not straight) .....

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_p0Kt28QRU1I/S_75i-2yLfI/AAAAAAAAGB4/7GleLHTc218/s1600/criss+cross+headband.jpg

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:02 PM on Jun. 5, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Yeah she was very racist and ignorant all in one. I have biracial nieces with tight curls and it can be hard for me to do their hair as well. We at times in life encounter some ridiculous human beings, but just laugh it off should it ever happen again. I would not even allow this to get to me. It appear she was obviously jealous of your child.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 1:07 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• I don't think blacks "own" rubber bands.

I live in Tucson and it surprises me how many Mexican Americans dye their hair. Some go as far as blond. Jennifer Lopez is a latino that has done this. I don't think it looks good because the hair doesn't match the skin tone. I wonder why change beautiful black hair?

Anonymous

• The other woman clearly has some issues. Oh well. Her problem, not yours. That hairdo is really cute by the way. :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:09 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Sounds like she is a HUGE racist! Shame on her behaving that way, especially in front of a child. Some people have no sense whatsoever!

Anonymous

• Yeah, that was a crazy lady! The hairdo is cute!! I had dreadlocks for 5 years (and I am white) and you wouldn't believe the amount of "so, is your boyfriend black?" "I bet you love Bob Marley" "what are you trying to pull here?" Ridiculous....I just really love the hairstyle!! If anything, it's a compliment, showing acceptance of different cultures and adapting them to your own
    Anonymous

• **OP

not only in front of my child, but she had 4 of her own with her !
    Anonymous

• Maybe you shouldn't fix your daughters hair like an African American, and you wouldn't have a problem.
    Anonymous

• I noticed the last comment was anonymous. But I fix my daughter's hair to be straight. She is half Samoan, and she has the curliest hair. It is also really thick. But when I am finished straightening her hair I feel real proud, because it took me some time.
    Yes, the woman is racist. How many black women straighten their hair? How many get extentions? Ect...
    I have a girlfriend who is black and she used to take me to the salon with her, so I watched all the stuff these women did to their hair.
    That is how I knew how to straighten my daughter's hair.
    Mommy2mj

Answer by Mommy2mj at 1:24 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Some ppl are just ignorant. Some ppl are plan racist. Some ppl make dumb comments, move on. You can do your daughters hair any way you want to. And to the anon comment made at 109, not black ppl don't own rubberbands, and ppl can dye their hair any color they want too, you sound like you have the same problem as the woman in the original question! There are a lot of ppl on this site with racial overtones to what they say, it's quite sickening! PPL CAN WEAR THEIR HAIR ANYWAY THEY WANT TO!
    MrsAJLaw

Answer by MrsAJLaw at 1:39 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Yup shes in the wrong. It's just hair who cares?
    cherrygirl87

Answer by cherrygirl87 at 1:42 PM on Jun. 5, 2010