Is it possible for mental activity to stimulate bowel movements?

I've made fun of my husband for years for always having to take a book to the bathroom with him when he poops, but lately I've been wondering...

Our son poops every night before he goes to bed, always after I read to him (I could take him to bed late without reading and he won't poop, or change him at the usual time and then read and he poops afterwards). He also poops on weekends before naps when I read to him then. And this morning he pooped three times, each time after I'd read to him.

Is it possible that my reading to him is helping the poop along? Does the action of taking a book to the bathroom actually have merit?

DragonRiderMD

Asked by DragonRiderMD at 1:10 PM on Jun. 5, 2010 in Health

• LOL. So he's inherited the book makes me go poop better gene from daddy,lol.
    Maybe the reading relaxes your son and and his bowels relax at that point. Maybe his bowels are on a schedule and its just a coincidence that he has to poop at those times.
    I know that I make fun of my DH because it never fails right before we have to leave to go somewhere, he has to go to the bathroom. We could all be loaded up in th ecar and he'll have to run in to go poop,lol.
    Poop must have a mind of its own....
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:24 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• My daughter has to read something/anything when she is pooping. lol My dad has to run to the bathroom every time he and my mom go shopping. He gets so excited he has to poop! lol
    Anonymous

• I think poop is definitely part of a routine, LOL.
    MamaZoya

Answer by MamaZoya at 3:39 PM on Jun. 5, 2010