Could it still be cradle cap... at 2 1/2 years old?

There are these thick flakey peices of skin on the top of my sons head.. looks just like cradle cap, it comes and goes, last time I noticed it was probably 7-8 months ago, but it's back.. wth? How do you get rid of it??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:23 PM on Jun. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i would say shave his head and then use shampoo and scrub it off
    Anonymous

• you could try combing it out then washing it with cradle cap shampoo. when my daughter had it I used some baby oil to loosen it them I gently combed out the flakes. then I washed out the oil with the cradle cap shampoo
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 1:58 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Probably dandruff (pretty much the same thing). Selson blue...
    Anonymous

• Yep. 2 of my DDs had it well past the infant stage. If you don't get rid of it then it can build up more. California Baby Calming Conditioner actually helps keep cradle cap away. It helped a lot with my daughter. Oil and a soft brush can help loosen it. My doc told me to use selsun blue but it didn't do nearly as much as the California Baby conditioner did.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 2:47 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• I use my husbands dandruff shampoo on my 2 year old about once a week. It keeps it away.
    Anonymous

• I don't know. I thought if they still get it, esp that old, that you're not washing their hair properly or often enough but I don't really know. My kids don't get it...
    Anonymous

• Cradle cap is actually baby dandruff! But since you don't want to scrub a baby's head often, they are more likely to get it. I agree that you need to soak them more often and scrub their heads. Don't feel bad- mine had awful cradle cap and now I still have to scrub her head to keep dandruff at bay. When she gets older, like in school, I'll let her use anti-dandruff shampoo if she wants.

@ Sonia: California Baby, huh? Must try that, thanks for the tip.
    MamaZoya

Answer by MamaZoya at 3:32 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• my dd has a reaction to coconut, which is used in a lot of soaps and shampoos. once we pinpointed the coconut issue, we gave her a few oatmeal baths to calm her skin. the scalp completely cleared after one bath. i rinsed her hair with it too.
    i know someone who gets a scalp like that when she eats gluten.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:13 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• My boys had/have it. My 2 1/2 yr old still does and I comb it and oil it like others suggested about once a week. My 5 yr. old finally outgrew it around 3 1/2 yrs old.. To the ANON:
    Answered at 2:14 PM on Jun. 5, 2010 by: Anonymous
    I don't know. I thought if they still get it, esp that old, that you're not washing their hair properly or often enough but I don't really know. My kids don't get it...
    REALLY? why bother posting then? that's like saying people with acne don't wash their face ~ sometimes things aren't what they seem. Be kind. Thanks
    liltymesmom

Answer by liltymesmom at 12:13 AM on Jun. 7, 2010