if your toddler learned on the potty ring, how/when did you make the switch?

With my first I don't remember it being such a big deal... but with my little one, she will have nothing to do with the big toilet unless it has a ring on it. We're getting a little tired of lugging around the potty ring. Of course, we'll do what we need to, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any tricks? Also what age did you make the switch?

EmilySusan

Asked by EmilySusan at 2:05 PM on Jun. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• Mine uses the ring at home, but he's OK using just the potty when we're out and about. When he first started potty training (and also with my older one) we had a portable potty ring. I stopped with my older one around 5 or 6. My younger one is now 5 and doesn't always use the ring. I'm just waiting for him to say he's done.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 6:55 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Mine is 3 years old, actually got off the ring thanks to daycare. Her DCP started having her and another not use the ring. My DD saw the other child stop using it so she became more comfortable without it. She's been without the ring at home for about 2 months now. It's nice.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 8:39 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Hmm, maybe this is a little early then. With my first I'm remembering her being off the ring while out of the house well before two, but now my little one is 21 months and won't even let me put her on the big toilet at home, holding her close to me... not even for a second (she screams). Last week we forgot our ring when we went out to eat... she announced she needed to go potty (she had been downing water), and so we went to the bathroom... she wouldn't go. Luckily she was able to hold it until we got home... Maybe I was just lucky with my first, being comfortable with me holding her on the big toilet so young.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:55 AM on Jun. 6, 2010