Is it still colic or not?

My husband takes care of our 12 week old while I work. The Doctor stated she had colic when she was three weeks old. Because of that we changed her formula which seems to help some. We also would hold her all the time trying to comfort her (swaddle, walk around, place in swing, go for drives...etc...). Now daddy states that she is spoiled b/c she cries when he isn't holding her. Is this possible? I don't believe so, but my husband believes it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:42 PM on Jun. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My DD cried if you were not holding her until she was 5 months old. I mean literally would cry if not held all the time. But she was that way from birth. No spoiling there. That is not unusual for babies. I don't think she is spoiled. Too young to be spoiled. Too young to manipulate.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 2:44 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• I think that they can be spoiled. Yes, too young to manipulate but not to young to know what they want. When babies want/need something they cry. If the crying stops when you pick her up then I would say that is what it is.
    Anonymous

• How do you break them from being spoiled then? If she cries longer than 15 minutes he would pick her up (by the advice from a family member). So today he tried to see how long she would cry for and she kept on crying for 30 minutes.
    BryandNatesMom

Answer by BryandNatesMom at 3:06 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• One, you can't spoil a baby that young. They need the love and attention. It's frustrating, but Babies were meant to be held and cuddled.
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 4:19 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Forgot part two..
    Don't ever let a baby that young just cry for 30 minutes. It's so unfair to them! He may just need to buy a sling and do stuff around the house with baby attached.
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 4:20 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• "How do you break them from being spoiled then? If she cries longer than 15 minutes he would pick her up (by the advice from a family member). So today he tried to see how long she would cry for and she kept on crying for 30 minutes"
    My DH was home w/ our DD who was that way for a while. He got sick of it and decided she would eventually stop crying. She cried for almost 3 hours and we cried too at the top of the stairs. And we NEVER did that again. We just held her as she needed and met her needs. She grew out of it at 5 months. She is almost 6 now and a=is a happy, well adjusted and NOT spoiled child. :) I think wearing the baby is the best option.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 4:52 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• OMG! A baby that young cannot be spoiled! and you can't "break them" of it. Yes, if you let them cry enough they will finally give up and getting their needs met. It is not good to let your baby cry, even 15 minutes is too much. A baby this young can do nothing to try and comfort/sooth themselves.
    You have a high need baby who needs to be held a lot. Period. There is some research that shows the MORE baby is held in the first 6 months, the LESS they cry in the 2nd 6 months. Tell DH to start paying it forward and hold that baby more!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:53 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• i agree with other posters that say an infant can not be spoiled. another thing to keep in mind is that babies were meant to drink milk from their mom, not formula from a can or bottle, so switching formulas helped and that is great! some seem to be easier for babies to digest than others is all. another thing to keep in mind is that a baby's digestive system is usually immature until about 6 months old...so it could still be colic.
    congratulations on your baby!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:09 PM on Jun. 5, 2010