MRSA......

My Mom had a nasal MRSA swab yesterday and it just came back positive. Not a horrible deal since she's on massive IV antibiotics. However, she saw my kids as recently as 4pm yesterday. Hugs, kisses, etc.... and about a week or less ago prepared and ate a meal w/ them. Soooo... do I sit tight? Rush them to the E.R.? I called the on-call nurse for our insurance but there's only 1 on weekends and unless it's a "911" type emergency I am basically screwed. Thoughts??

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 3:07 PM on Jun. 5, 2010 in Kids' Health

• it's fine. Lots of people carry MRSA on their bodies and it's not a problem it's usually only a problem if it's coming from an open wound (like puss)
    So unless you children have open wounds that look infected now then it's not a problem... an ER wouldn't do you any good, they won't do anything for you.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:02 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I wouldn't freak out, chances are this isn't their first time being exposed to MRSA .. its everywhere these days. I'd wait it out and keep a close eye on them and then call their pediatrician first thing Monday morning and see what they think.
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 3:11 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• I have MRSA, I developed a boil a few years ago and they tested the puss after draining it and it came back positive. Both of my daughters also developed an infection - my youngest was 2 at the time, she got what looked like a simple blister on her stomach, just over her lower ribs. The doctor drained it and it healed - she hasn't had any signs of it since. My eldest who was 3 at the time got one on her butt, and again the doctor drained it and it healed and she hasn't had any signs of it since. I recently developed a second boil, almost in the same spot as the first and so far no one else in the house has developed one so it could be the MRSA or it could just be a simple boil. The doctor told us to wash our hands frequently and anything like towels, clothes, anything that came in contact with the infected spot of the pus should be washed and not handled by anyone else but by whoever used it.
    Anonymous