Atheists

This is a genuine question to which I would like to know the answer. I'm fine with whatever answers I get and will only reply to either thank you for a particularly insightful answer or to ask for or provide clarification. That being said...

I have heard many Atheists (and others) say that Christians should all agree on their faith. Do you/they believe the same about Pagans? It's my understanding that there are many different Pagan religions, so I am trying to see if the same is thought of them? Again, I'm not meaning to disrespect anyone.

MamaRae85

Asked by MamaRae85 at 3:14 PM on Jun. 5, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• No, I don't believe that at all. I am mostly just disinterested. I am not the type of person who worries about what other people believe. If it makes them happy, fine. I just expect the same respect. I don't try to convert anyone nor will I listen to anyone who tries to convert me. There are a lot of newly atheistic people I have met who love to tell Christians (or Muslims, etc.) how flawed their thinking is and all that, but that does not interest me at all.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 3:21 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• I think what the problem really is....and this is just my thoughts, is that how can there be only "one way" yet so many different views of "one way" for Christianity. That I think is what causes a stir.
    WonderWoman1979

Answer by WonderWoman1979 at 3:32 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Atheist here... I'm pretty certain that all Christians are supposed to believe in God and that Jesus died for their sins- by definition of being a Christian. Beyond that, I feel strongly that there are as many ways to have faith or believe in something as there are those who believe in it. Religion is a deeply personal thing that can really only come from within.
    mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 3:36 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• I think Christians hear this criticism more often because, by definition, many Christians state that their way is the only 'right' way. With that mindset, I think some find it ironic that even within Christianity there are disputes about what 'right way' that really is. I don't think Pagans hear this criticism as much because in general polytheistic religions are less adamant about being the 'only' path. Because they don't claim to be the only way, I don't think Pagans here this 'so why can't you agree?' argument as often.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:15 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• I don't think that they actually think all christians should believe the same thing. It just gets pointed out a lot when some christians like to tell people how wrong they are and that being on the wrong path will lead them to damnation.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 4:18 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• No I don`t believe that at all.  I don`t care if Christians and Pagans have different denominations.  The difference is that Pagans get along with each other and Christians do not. 

Christians don`t need to agree, they just need to shut the f*ck up!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 4:31 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• I am Pagan and sit with other Pagans from all different paths. We actually sit and learn from one another all the time. But in our belief you are free to really believe as you want. We shame no one for branching out and blending different beliefs.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:39 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Not necessarily agree but at least respect one another despite their differences. For some this seems like an insurmountable task and they claim the other isn't "Christian enough" or not a "true Christian". In reality it's just a load of bullocks to make the person feel better about themselves.

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:26 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Faith is such a personal thing....I don't think anyone from any religious group could have the same exact faith as their neighbor.
    That being said, I think what many of us mean by this statement, is, there seems to be so much banter between christians themselves. Calling this one a "real" christian while telling the other they are not "real" enough.
    How can this be? Do you not all believe in Jesus Christ? Do you not all read the same bible? There is such discrepency amongst the followers of the same religion, it makes us wonder, if you can't all agree on your beliefs, how in the world can you expect others to want to follow that religion?
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:21 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• If He's anything like you, I don't WANT to know Him.

But you have your answer already. Christianity claims to be the One and Only way. Hence you would think that there would be no differences across the board and yet there are. Pagans should share a majority of similar beliefs, but there isn't a "one true God" to them and many paths ending at the same destination.
    Anonymous