At what age did you start putting those inflatable swimmies on your kids' arms while swimming?

SlightlyPerfect

Asked by SlightlyPerfect at 3:23 PM on Jun. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't and I wouldn't unless they wanted to. I believe that small children need to be in arm's reach and that older children can learn to swim. We only use approved life-jackets as safety-enhancers. I know I might sound sanctimonious about this but I think that water safety is like car safety, only less well promoted and understood. Floaties are great toys but have nothing to do with safety so I think they are misleading.
    MamaZoya

Answer by MamaZoya at 3:26 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• At around 2 1/2 (her b-day is in Feb.). Until that, she was in one of the floating seat things. We tried the swimsuits with the floats built in, but her head kept sliding down.
    She loves the arm floaties.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 3:27 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Waterwings are very dangerous; don't use them!

Get your child in a Red Cross swim class.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:53 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• We haven't used them for my son, but I do remember wearing them when I was younger and loving my 'floaties'!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 5:06 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• We use the floaty ring instead. Those arm floaties are too awkward.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 6:53 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• the first year. I've always been within arms reach of my son while using them. I did try using the life jackets first and it was too back heavy and he didnt know how to keep his legs down, all it did was flip him on his back and he would cry. The arm floaties were great for us. The red cross is against the now only because so many parents depend on them to keep their children safe. The parents need to be the one watching the children not the floats! It doesnt mean the arm floats are bad.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:02 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• I think they were around 2, but I was always in the pool with them. They worked great and helped my kids learn to swim - I kept blowing them up with less and less air so they had less flotation "help" and had to work their muscles more. All of my kids were great swimmers by the time they were 4. (not that I let them in the pool alone at that age, but they were able to swim)

Answer by missanc at 9:30 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Ours are for ages 2-10 but they have to weigh at least 30lbs. We didn't buy any until my older kids were 4 and 5. My oldest used them at her friend's house at 3 and we got a pair for our youngest when she was 3.
    The 3 older kids can now touch the bottom of the pool and have figured out how to swim on their own. The 4yo can't touch yet so she still uses them.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:36 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• I don't we used a Coast Gaurd certified flotation device, it has a tummy strap that snaps in the back with attached wing like things for their arms. They loved them, didn't tip over and it really helped them learn to swim. We got them at Bass Pro
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:20 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I'm with MamaZoya, I don't like them and I think it's better to let the child get used to the water without them. It's good for them to realize that, when they stop kicking or if they let go of mommy or daddy, they will sink. If they don't know that, then they might think that it's ok to jump in a pool or fountain without you or the water wings.

My husband, on the other hand, thinks they're great. So, what ended up happening with our kids was that they would have the water wings on about half the time they were in the water from about a year old until they had taken swimming lessons. They survived it all and learned to swim. ;-)
    DivaG

Answer by DivaG at 6:43 AM on Jun. 12, 2010