are there somethings that your 2 or 2.5 year old say that you just can't quite makeout what he or she is saying? Mine does that sometimes and I ask her what like 3 times trying to make out what she is saying and my 5 year old will tell me what she said lol

why is it that they know what they say and us parents don't sometimes? Does your oldest pretty much always know what your toddler is saying when you don't even know what they are saying?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:30 PM on Jun. 5, 2010 in Just for Fun

• My nephew once when I was babysitting him after not seeing the family for a year or two cause I moved out of state....He kept saying, "I want fam-fees." I thought he meant can of peas.....I pointed to almost everything up in the cabinet and FINALLY had him stand on the chair with me at his side and for him to reach in and get it.

I pointed to everything BUT the one thing he wanted..........RAISINS!!!!!!!! I said they are RAI-SINS and he said, NO...FAM-FEES!!!!!

It was the funniest thing ever and I said to my sister......next time your son has a weird saying for something.......write it out what HE is saying and then WHAT the item actually IS.....took me 10 minutes to find the FAM-FEES! She said.....Oh his raisins! LOL

It was SO frustrating seeing this 2 year old go on and on....FAM-FEES....FAM-FEES!!!

He is now 35 and I say......" Hey... bring me a box of FAM-FEES next time you visit OK?"
    Anonymous

• It was like that with my sister and daughter (sister is 4 years older than my daughter). When I had them together, it's like they had a secret language or something. Sometimes, Kiwi would say something when she was 18 months old or so, and for the life of me, I couldn't understand what she was saying. She'd get so frustrated, then just tell me "call my aunt". So, I'd call my sister, give Kiwi the phone, then take it back and my little sister would translate and tell me what Kiwi wanted. It was kind of weird, and luckily it only lasted about 4 months.
    For a while I felt bad that I had to have a 5 year old translate for me, but they were and still are very close, so I guess it didn't matter too much.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 3:35 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• OP HERE

LOL thats what I mean like a diffrent lanuage lol. I understand my toddler the mugority of the time, but if I don't my 5 year old tells me what it is she is saying lol. I know weird
    Anonymous

• my son is 2 1/2, sometimes he will just start jabbering about something and then i'll be like uhm what honey??? and he just tells me to "come mommy!" and off we go on his mission.... It gets easier as their vocabulary increases and ability to speak comes easier when they figure out how to m ake the right nosies.
    DDTSMommy

Answer by DDTSMommy at 3:56 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• That is wierd. My son is 2 and my friend's daughter who is 3 seems to understand him.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 4:36 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• yeah i swear my kids have their own language my 5 yr old is speech delayed but he and my 2.5 yr old are constantly jabbering to each other, and thats exactly what it sounds like jabbering. i sometimes have to have my 7 yr old translate what the 2 younger ones are sayin...its frustrating cause i feel like im not doing something right, that i should be able to understand what they are sayin but i cant.
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 4:56 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• Yep... my 3 year old definitely has his own language! We joke about that all the time!!! We were even starting to worry a few months ago, but since he has become MUCH more clear in what he's saying. Dr's say that as long as at this age we can understand 1/3 of what they are saying, it is perfectly normal. By age 4 it should be 1/2 of what they are saying.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 6:14 PM on Jun. 5, 2010

• That was what it was like when my 7yo was a toddler. She had a speech delay and didn't really start talking until she was 2 1/2 and when she did talk it was a lot of mumbling, baby talk and made up words. There were so many times that I had no clue what she was saying and my son, who is a year older, would finally get frustrated and go, "SHE SAID..." He always seemed to know what she was saying.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:46 PM on Jun. 5, 2010